65 Dart exterior door trim issue

-

BeetleDart65

Reaction score
So recently while doing some work on the door of my 1965 dart the side trim came off but the clips for it are still attached to the door, im pretty sure i can put the trim back on but im not experienced in doing this any ideas?

16031236806972875577623388960046.jpg

Did it come completely off? It appears to be "bowed" in the middle. If so, then the moulding needs to be completely removed, straightened, and then reattached.

Did it come completely off? It appears to be "bowed" in the middle. If so, then the moulding needs to be completely removed, straightened, and then reattached.
Yeah, The whole piece did come off and im planning on straightening it, my only other question is how would I go about putting the trim back on those little clips that are attached to the door? The ones in middle look like i can just push a bit to get into the trim but on each end clip theres a weird little metal hook on them?

We might need a close-up photo of the clips. Some (usually the metal ones) are put on the molding first, then onto the door. Some plastic ones are that way too, but, many are also snap-on type.

We might need a close-up photo of the clips. Some (usually the metal ones) are put on the molding first, then onto the door. Some plastic ones are that way too, but, many are also snap-on type.
These are the two types of clips that were behind the molding, as you can see the one near the door lock has that thin hook-like piece on it, i took a closer look at the other ones and they have small cracks on almost all of them, are those something that can be bought on there own?

16031533828102221453129907386987.jpg

Yeah, those clips need to go onto the molding first, then the molding and clip assembly gets bolted to the door from the inside. The end clips probably take a nut just inside the lip, but, the rest need you to pull the door panel.

-
Back