65 Dart Heater Core replacement

-

superbee6

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I have what I hope is a quick question. I'm trying to replace the heater core in my 65 dart. Is there a trick to getting to the last clip that holds the heater box together? It's impossible to get to it. It's against the side of the car up high next to the gasket that seals against the inside of the cowl/firewall.

Thanks
Bruce

Hi Everyone. I have what I hope is a quick question. I'm trying to replace the heater core in my 65 dart. Is there a trick to getting to the last clip that holds the heater box together? It's impossible to get to it. It's against the side of the car up high next to the gasket that seals against the inside of the cowl/firewall.

Thanks
Bruce

The best way is to remove the bolts on the engine side of the fire wall and the cables under dash. then remove the heater togather. then you can clean it up and repair any seals and gaskets that it will need

I second that one and LOOK for rust through above the box in the cowl area.....worth the extra time...DEFINATELY. Pat

Absolutely the best thing is to drop the whole assy. You'll be amazed how much crap is in that box once apart. The heater "smell" when on? look for mice! Here' my 64 Fairlane heater blower motor squirrel (or should I say mouse) cage.

Attachments

• fanstuff.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 371
  • p1270022.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 334
This is good info, I recently bypassed my heater due to a leak. I was not sure I needed to replace it but I think I will.

Pull the whole heater suitcase. You can then clean, lube, and seal everything much easier. If you don't have A/C, it's only an hours job. Put an old blanket down on the carpet to catch any liquid that may spill out the heater core. Start by pulling the glove box insert and the RH kick panel and insulation, then the hook holding the suitcase to the cowl, then the defroster hoses (CAREFULLY as they fall apart just looking at them) then disconnect the cables from the flaps and unplug the wiring for the fan. Pull and plug the heater hoses at the firewall, then just the nuts holding the suitcase to the firewall is all that's left. Pull the assy. out and split it apart on the bench. Lube the clips before removal will help prevent chipping the fiberglass housing.

I just bought a new heater core for mine $40 from Summit, best price around.

Hey everyone, thanks for the great info. I got some of the steps right but didn't think I was supposed to remove the whole heater box. That will make it much easier to get at the last clip, hidden next to the inside wall of the car. :angryfir: I already chipped a couple of clip locations on the heater box.

It was also missing a few of the clips. Anyone know where to get more?

I decided to replace the blower motor while I was at it. Got the heater core from Autozone for $35 and blower motor from Autozone for $29. I thought that was cheap and was a bit skeptical about the quality. Any opinions on those? The motor was from Everco and the core from Spectra Premium.

Anyone have a good source for all those gaskets? They are pretty dry and cracked.

Thanks a million.
Bruce

Detroit Muscle Technologies should have all of the gaskets you need for the heater box. Spectra Premium is a good brand as far as gas tanks, probably okay fro heater cores too. Don't know about Everco but I've heard of the company.

Pull the whole heater suitcase. You can then clean, lube, and seal everything much easier. If you don't have A/C, it's only an hours job. Put an old blanket down on the carpet to catch any liquid that may spill out the heater core. Start by pulling the glove box insert and the RH kick panel and insulation, then the hook holding the suitcase to the cowl, then the defroster hoses (CAREFULLY as they fall apart just looking at them) then disconnect the cables from the flaps and unplug the wiring for the fan. Pull and plug the heater hoses at the firewall, then just the nuts holding the suitcase to the firewall is all that's left. Pull the assy. out and split it apart on the bench. Lube the clips before removal will help prevent chipping the fiberglass housing.
Hi there I know old thread but you are still active. On your breakdown of the heater box removal where is the hook holding the suitcase to cowl? Thanks Dustin

Hi there I know old thread but you are still active. On your breakdown of the heater box removal where is the hook holding the suitcase to cowl? Thanks Dustin
The head of the bolt that attaches to the hook is on the bottom of the heater suitcase. You can see the hook by opening the air door. The top of the hook goes up into the dash cowl.

-
Back