65' Dart: new tank, sending unit, fuel line installed but will not start...

-

53ryder

Reaction score
'65 Dart sat too long by previous owners. Did run but then stopped. Did some investigation. Discovered bad gas in tank and tank got rusty. Have now replaced tank, sending unit and fuel line from tank to fuel pump. Connected everything back up, I think. Gas to carb but no start.

So one thing I want to check. Which way does this needle on this one barrel Holley carb go?

I took the fitting off between the carb and the fuel line earlier checking for any filters/screens. When I took the fitting off the needle fell out. Since I wasn't expecting anything to come out I didn't notice which way it should go back in! Any ideas which way the needle should go back in? The 'sharp' end facing the fuel line? Or the carb? See last two pictures for choice. In the pictures the carb would be to the right side of the fitting and the fuel line coming in from the left side.

Glenn

Attachments

• IMG_4265.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4263.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4262.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4260.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 103
Should have added, with all the gunk in the tank, be sure and flush, blow out the line, and you may very well have gunk/ junk in the carb.

So I'd............................

Before you hook up the new line, pull a siphon and let 1/2 gal or so drain into a clean (preferably glass) container so you can look for "junk"

Hook up the line, leave the carb unhooked, and crank the engine and run some fuel out the pump and the carb line. Use a piece of scrap hose on the carb end of the line to direct the flow into a container

And or...........Rig a can, safely above, IE hung from the rafters, etc, to siphon directly into the carb inlet, so you can run the engine on clean gas, and allow the pump / line to pump some fuel through the line to be sure it's clean.

Use a good inline filter, Wix or NAPA are the same and are good. Use a METAL, not a plastic filter. Run it a couple weeks, then change it again.

I replaced the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. I cleaned out the line from the pump to the carb, the filter is midway. Replaced the filter. I can see gas in the filter it self. When I remove the fuel line at the carb a little gas backsplashes.

It may be there's another problem. No spark? Not sure. Been busy replacing this tank and sending unit, which did need to be replaced one way or the other.

How do I check for spark? Pull a plug, with the plug wire still connected, and see it any sparks will show up? Any particular plug?

Glenn

-
Back