65 Dart no spark

-

LeeBoy

Reaction score
Two years ago I put my dart in storage and it ran. Last week I went to bring it home and it wouldn't start. It has the 225 slant six. I towed it home and took off the coil wire and cranked the motor and no spark. I replaced the coil, the resistor block, the cap and rotor, the condensor, the plugs and wires, a new battery, all new 2 gauge positive and negative battery cables and still no spark. I couldn't find a new set of points that looked right so I cleaned mine up and regapped them to .020. I read in another forum that it may be a fusible link. Does anybody have any ideas? I have most of the parts to swap it over to electronic ignition but I just want to get it running so I can move it in and out of the garage for now.

dart 1.JPG

if it was me i would first see if i have power at the + side of the coil with the key on.....if you do then take the cap off ,crank the motor and watch the points for sparks jumping to ground..if so then bad points ....will need points and condinsor ........hope this helps ps dont hold cap in hand while motor is being cranked.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzap

My 65 dart is gapped at .017. I tried .020 and it wouldnt start.. i know thats not a big difference, but you may wanna try it. I agree that new condinsor would help too.

Thanks for the info. I am stopping at NAPA in the morning for a new set of points they have them in stock, Autozone ordered them and they were not anything like what I needed, junk infact. I already replaced the condensor. I set the gap at .020 because thats what my book said. If it doesn't work on the new set of points I'll try .017. Thanks

Is there power going to the coil ?
and check the wire going to the distributor it could be grounded out
where it goes in to the distributor
I bought a new cap and rotor and coil for my 63 I had and it did not work at all.:angry7:
I put the old cap and rotor back on with a new coil and it fired up:cheers: that was weird :angry7:

-
Back