65 Dart Top Questions

-

EDC

Reaction score
My 65 convertible is running well, but my daughters keep telling my I can't call it a convertible if it doesn't have a top. I'm looking for suggestions on where to buy a new top. Just as importantly, I'm hoping to find a resource that will give me a list (with pictures, ideally) of the parts and pieces I need. The top was removed before I took possession of the car, and while I've got boxes of trim, I'm not really sure what I need.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The only resource I know of that shows all the why's and how-to's is the factory shop manual. I used it to replace a 65 Coronet top. Darts have their own section.

Any suggestion on best place to locate a factory shop manual? Could use one for my 69 cuda vert.

Any suggestion on best place to locate a factory shop manual? Could use one for my 69 cuda vert.
No they install completely different a 65 shop manual should be available on ebay. As far as brands, I would go with robbins for tops.

post pictures of trim or parts you are unsure of and all of us can help identify them for you and tell you whats missing.

I'm working for a guy right now that does custom leather interiors and tops for 50-60 Lincolns and his recommendations are "get a brass zipper, measure the center of the last bow to the center of the dutch-mans panel (between trunk and well opening per FSM), contact Robbins, EZ-on or Electron tops for you needs. those are the three best in his opinion.

Since my 66 Dart and your 65 have the top going "OVER" the sheet metal and having the trim sandwich it between it and the body it's a little bit harder and different than most cars that have it going inside the car at the rear window and stapled to a tack strip or screwed in from the inside of the well. Plus we have a square corner that the top has to go around. so it is a bit trickier than valliants which are similar but they don't have a "square" corner and are rounded but do have the sandwich type trim/tack strip.

you will/should get at a minimum.
1.Factory Service Manual (FSM)
1. quality top. in Florida the cloth and the vinyl have similar top life due to the sun. but the price between cloth and vinyl is huge.
2. pads for that top.
3. complete top seal kit if needed. (header seal and side seals for the windows to top frame)
4. check side tension springs. If missing ask on here and someone might have a set.
5. Well liner, I'd hate to scratch that new top up if you don't have a liner.
6. the internet has a couple places that have videos of top installs on DVD that they sell or YouTube might have a few. watch first! and you should get a general idea of what to do.
7. find a good restoration shop and get the body snap screws from them . (most internet ones are junk, oh and get a few extra.)
hope this helps.

-
Back