65 dart turn signal wiring question.

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
I have left turn signal front and rear, but only right rear.and no dash indicator light for the right side. I ckd bulb and grounds. Does anyone know if the front and rear turn signal light are wired together...and witch wires are the turn signal wires coming out of the firewall thoughts are appreciated

No, each corner of the car has a dedicated wire. The TS switch controls the routing, and connects the two rear ones together when centered, and connects them to the brake like switch output.

Do the both brake lights work? If so, the problem is likely right in the switch. If the right brake also does not work, it is likely the TS switch connector coming out of the column, or a fault further back in that right rear wire

If you do not have one, wander over to MyMopar and download a free service manual. Also on that site are aftermarket wiring diagrams. These are sometimes not as detailed as the service manual but are sometimes easier to follow

No, each corner of the car has a dedicated wire. The TS switch controls the routing, and connects the two rear ones together when centered, and connects them to the brake like switch output.

Do the both brake lights work? If so, the problem is likely right in the switch. If the right brake also does not work, it is likely the TS switch connector coming out of the column, or a fault further back in that right rear wire

If you do not have one, wander over to MyMopar and download a free service manual. Also on that site are aftermarket wiring diagrams. These are sometimes not as detailed as the service manual but are sometimes easier to follow
The left turn signal front and rear works. The right turn signal rear works. But the right – turn signal indicator light does not work. I have checked the dash bulb It is good. The wire for the front right turn signal from the switch is working with a test light but it is not getting out to the right side front turn signal

The brake lights do work just the right front turn signal and dash indicator for the right side doesn't work. For some reason I can't open the file for the wiring diagram from my Mopar

I can send you copies of the wiring diagrams right from the FSM if needed

The brake lights do work just the right front turn signal and dash indicator for the right side doesn't work. For some reason I can't open the file for the wiring diagram from my Mopar

What is the file name you downloaded? The aftermarket diagrams are rather stupid. For some reason MyMopar has now bundled up several and "zipped" them so you must "unzip" them first.

But those are not FACTORY. The service manual is what you want to start with

EDIT I see for some reason they have now "zipped" the service manuals. You must download this and save it then "unzip" it

https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1965_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

What is the file name you downloaded? The aftermarket diagrams are rather stupid. For some reason MyMopar has now bundled up several and "zipped" them so you must "unzip" them first.

But those are not FACTORY. The service manual is what you want to start with

EDIT I see for some reason they have now "zipped" the service manuals. You must download this and save it then "unzip" it

https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1965_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip
got it thank you

update on right turn signal...i have looked at the wiring diagrams but cant find what iam looking for the tan wire the goes to the right front has a short somewhere...at the plug for the turn signal switch coming from the wiring harness there is two tan wires that are hooked togeather at the plug...one is the right front signal...i cant find in the wiring diagrams what the other tan wire is for,,,diagram only shows one tan wire at the plug any ideas will be helpful

Last edited:
The other goes to the instrument cluster indicator.

The other goes to the instrument cluster indicator.
thanks after looking into it i seen that thanks...i found the problem after putting the hood latch brace back in i tightened a washer nut down on the turn signal wires going across the core support...easy fix after i took everything apart lol

Well I have time to work on it a little bit. This morning. I have turn signals left right front rear and indicators. But now when I push on the brake I only get right rear and front left turn signal goes off and on with pushing the brake panel. Now I'm lost lol I also noticed that the rear bulb sockets do not have any grounds as well as the front do not have any grounds. Does the dimmer switch have any effect on the turn signal or brake lighting?

Last edited:
You need to get the grounds straightened out first, as that can cause weird problems. On some cars the headlight/ parking lamp grounds all come together there with a bolt to the rad support.

Sometimes sockets like rear lamps can corrode/ rust, and you should consider cleaning them, and soldering a separate pigtail to them for grounding.

Also bulbs can cause you weird grief. Make CERTAIN they are the correct numbers, and that the sockets are not so bent/ damaged that they have been forced in with the wrong index. Also bulbs can have weird internal problems. Like, a filament can blow, and a "tag" of the filament can weld itself to the remaining filament, causing weird backflow in the system. I would test EACH bulb out of the sockets, and LOOK to make sure each filament lights separate as they should. You really need a "junk" tail/ turn socket for that

i added grounds to the two rear tail light sockets and the two front signal buckets grounds goto the body,,body is grounded at the motor and battery.....still did not help...i unhooked the turn signal switch and did all my testing at the the plug to the wiring harness. as i said before i have front and rear trun signals when i push the brake pedal i have right rear and front left turn signal.....

Is there any possibility the TS switch could be wired wrong, etc? Again I suggest "if you have not" to check the bulbs carefully. Either wrong bulb or one that is internally defective

It IS POSSIBLE the TS switch can be bad as well. You might disconnect the TS switch and check it in each position, make a "truth table" and compare, so like this:

First, if you have (a separate switch) disconnect it and recheck vehicle lamp operation

Next disconnect the TS switch and make a chart from the diagram of the wires identification

Here is what you have

With switch centered, the brake light wire should go to both rear lamps wires
No other switch wire should show continuity to any other. Just those three

With switch on the left, the brake switch wire should go to the right rear lamp. Check all other wires to make sure it is not "also" connected to them

In that position, the flasher wire should connect with both the front lamp wire and the rear lamp wire

this is all reversed side-for side with switch in the right turn position.

Again, check this with the TS switch disconnected--so that a cross in the harness will not affect it.

I had not had any issues prior to pinching the wiring harness along the core support with a nut. All bold filaments are good. The switch is the exact replacement. When I disconnect the switch and do the test the dark green wire. When power is added, lights up the front left turn signal and dash indicator for the left turn signal. Everything else works as it should

That ought to be a clue. Something in the harness? Maybe "the pinch" melted some harness insulation and crossed some wires.

That ought to be a clue. Something in the harness? Maybe "the pinch" melted some harness insulation and crossed some wires.
Looks like I may have to untape some wire on that harness and try to trace it down. Here's something else that is strange when I use my multimeter to check for continuity. I ground one lead of the meter and I touch the dark green wire with the other lead and I get continuity.

67Dart273 i owe you an apology i wasted your time and did not take all of your advice on trouble shooting....after taking everything apart for the third time...i found the issue, as you had tried to advise me to check out it was a miss wire on the new ts plug at the dark green and light green wires i had them reversed...sry i did not take your advise and ck it out ....but thank you for your help....it all works now

Not to worry. It is exceedingly difficult to "step in" for a minute or two and remember details, or "catch" all the dead end alleys. I'm speaking both for you and the rest of us.

I'm 74, been at it for awhile, LOL.

-
Back