65 GT vinyl top colors offered?

-

Frank Miller

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do the complete body resto. on my great score from the original owner of a (color code, Lt. biege) GT. I've seen old promotional material that always show a black vinyl on the front 3/4 roof between the GT 'cage' trim. What were the choices offered then to be concourse correct. Mine original is all the solid Lt. Biege paint and have wondered if it might look snazzier with a white or light colored vinyl if it was one of the choices that Dodge offered in '65?

According to my 65 Dealer's Color and Upholstery Book and NOS order forms, black (Code 585) or white (Code 586) were the only colors available.

According to my 65 Dealer's Color and Upholstery Book and NOS order forms, black (Code 585) or white (Code 586) were the only colors available.

Yepp! 65 Dartman is right. 1965 was a two color year only! There has been reproduction of blue ones but I haven't seen any in the recent years.

Thanks guys, I sort of expected it to be that. Now here's one I want to thrown out there because I am proceeding along nicely with my full resto: days from having the complete power train finished just out of this world Mopar correct, new. and am only a few months from stripping the body and interior totally using the original owners color code. (He's 88 and we've e-mailed that I'd drive it by when time comes). Last night after working all day(9:00 a.m. to 11:00) I sat my sore back down & just saw it sitting there, about two feet up on stands, and in the dimly lit shop area. I was admiring the lines and shadowed look of it with the GT trim and all. Well I haven't washed it for the last year and it being so dusty I could almost envision it having a Lt. Biege vinyl top that matched as close to the paint as possible because it just screams for a use for that GT cagestyle roof trim. I just don't feel the white would look good. For shows and all is that just blowing it? I haven't seen any '64-'66 GT's that show it in White. Oh well I'll stew on it. Thanks all, Frank

According to the 65 C & U Book, both black and white vinyl tops were available with all factory colors. I suspect that black was the most common although white probably looked pretty good with the darker colors. Since it's YOUR car, if you want to do a beige vinyl top, I'd have at it.

According to the 65 C & U Book, both black and white vinyl tops were available with all factory colors. I suspect that black was the most common although white probably looked pretty good with the darker colors. Since it's YOUR car, if you want to do a beige vinyl top, I'd have at it.
Your right, it will come down to me actually seeing the material at some shop that specializes in vinyl tops to hold a white against the new Biege paint and then maybe there would be a shade so close to the biege that I would personalize my $20,000. resto. outside of the concourse original. Thanks, Frank.

My original vinyl top is still on my 65, yes it is black and still looks good after all these years. In my opinion, its your car....have it you're way!

-
Back