65 speedometer

-

midlifecuda

Reaction score
I'm putting my gauge cluster back together after being apart for yrs and I must have removed the tape from behind the rectangular opening at the 75 mph mark. Am I correct that this opening is the high beam indicator and what color is it when its on high beams? The tape over the opening was red in color and does not appear to be translucent.

IIRC the high beam was a light above the speedo, the left one above the blinker. I though it was blue but have not driven my car in the dark in over 8 years...

The low oil indicator is in the center of the bezel with the turn signal indicator, i'm talking on the speedometer at the 75 mph mark. Trying to post a pic but cab't figure it out

Holy crap, I did it....even drew an arrow! Not bad for an old fart

Well it was in the 65 cluster....fit perfectly and there is a bulb behind it with a blue plastic dome over it as there are several other places in the cluster. Now I'm all jacked up!

An indicator light that small and in that location looks just like the ones that I have had on several of my 65 and 66 Darts and it would be the high beam indicator. On each of my cars it has been lit red when the high beams are on. The low oil indicator is much bigger and also lit in red usually located somewhere else nearby on the instrument cluster.

Paul

I should mention that while the Dart didn't have light in the speedometer on the 65, the high beam indicator light was at eye level in the center top of the cluster between the turn signal indicators so you would see it was on high, and would know lower the lights when traffic was approaching from the other direction.

Dart, Valiant, B'cuda, panels aren't all the same.

Well after a little research I see that my speedometer appears to be from a 1971 Charger. My car is a 64 Cuda that was a mild custom. Part of that custom was changing the gauge cluster to that of a 65 and I guess to get the 150 mph speedo they went with the 71 Charger. I never even relized that the 150 wasn't available on the "S". It seems that the 71-74 and possibly the 75-79 speedo's would fit the 65. Anyhow, thanks to all for their help, I think I'm going to keep it just the way it was.

-
Back