65 valiant dog dish caps

-

kielbasavw

Reaction score
id like to paint the squares, center and logo how they use to be. does anyone have tips on the easiest way to apply paint, and what would be the closest to the correct colors for the logo.

maybe somone has a picture of what one SHOULD look like?

IMAG0887.jpg

I don't think these are painted correctly but here is a set on ebay.

valiant dog dish

When I paint things like these I usually use testers paint and a brush. you want to thin the paint a little and dab the brush in the paint and load it up pretty good. when the brush comes in contact with the hub cap it will fill in the void with the paint. you really shouldn't even need to brush the paint in it should fill in on its own. Its called enameling. you pretty much just fill the paint into the voids by letting it pool up.

I can't really help you with the correct colors.

I am in the process of doing the same set myself Ill keep you posted with the progress.

With mine I am doing the recessed ring around the "v" in black not the whole circle like the ones on ebay.

I don't remember ever seeing a set that had paint on them from the factory. I have thought about painted just the 2 halves of the V red and blue like the ebay units. Does anyone have a picture of original dogdish hubcaps with color instead of plain bare polished metal?

I don't remember ever seeing a set that had paint on them from the factory. I have thought about painted just the 2 halves of the V red and blue like the ebay units. Does anyone have a picture of original dogdish hubcaps with color instead of plain bare polished metal?

X2 I have a set that someone painted like the ones on eBay and like those on eBay they weren't done using a stencil and look like a child did them.

In 1966 the Valiant hub caps originally had the outer rectangles and center circle painted black, the "V" logo was painted red and light blue like the grille emblem. All the paint was done in flat but I think they would look good in a semi-gloss finish, also seen ones done in gloss and they look great.

Came originally as SEDAN described. Couple of pics. of how i detailed mine. Just thought they looked cooler this way with just outer ring highlighted in black.

Oldschoolcuda

Attachments

• parts 512.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 272
  • parts 513.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 261
I agree with Sedan as I have them on my Signet, the paint is flat or Matt depending how you see describe it

Came originally as SEDAN described. Couple of pics. of how i detailed mine. Just thought they looked cooler this way with just outer ring highlighted in black.

Oldschoolcuda

wow that looks great, i think i might prefer ring painted instead of the center. do you have any pictures installed on the car? also what kind of red and blue did you use?

Have not installed em yet still deciding on tires. Used duplicolor brake caliper paint for the red, blue & black. Really holds up well & easy to apply without visible brush strokes. Actually covered each cap with painters tape then cut out one side of the V with exacto. Sprayed that side then after paint dried taped over sprayed section & cut out other side then sprayed in opposite color. Hand painted all the black details with artist brush.

Oldschoolcuda

That looks great. Looks like its time to break out the One Shot and paint mine.

Oldschoolcuda

Those do look awesome, you did a great job. I never saw a set painted on a car. They must have used water paint from the factory.

Finally got to mine! Took me about 3 hours. Used semi gloss black, dark red and blue model paint from hobby store. They will be on the car first thing in the morning!

Looking at them before painting, i did find flat paint in the corners, but saw no paint in the inner circle, but was in the ring. Some one could have redone them at some point i don't know... didn't last long if they did.

20121012_223722.jpg

20121013_015840.jpg

-
Back