'65 Valliant driver's seat adjustment

-

85glht

Reaction score
So, I reinstalled the original front seats in the car over the winter... I like the lowback seat look. With the seat adjusted all the way rearward, it is a little uncomfortable to drive as my knees are bent. I'm only 5'7". How did tall people drive these things back in the day?? Was everyone shorter back then?? Is there something I did wrong.... or do I need to drill new holes to set the seats further back for comfort? Any input would be highly appreciated.

Did you mount the seats in the factory location?
The tracks on my 69 have alternate mount holes, see if yours are in the hole closed to the front if not you can knock the studs out and relocate them.

You should see the top 3 brackets for the stock mounted buckets if not the car may have had a bench seat from the factory.

1714676614956.png

1714676893864.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm 6'3", this is how I sit with my seat in the full back setting. Any further back and the steering wheel would be too far for proper driving.
Photo taken with me sitting comfortably in a 65 Barracuda, same platform as your valiant.
Could your tracks be backwards?

20240502_140755.jpg

There should be quite a bit of adjustment on the seat tracks themselves....not just the slide going back. There are bolts to adjust height as well as tilt/forward/backward.

I never got any notice of these replies!! Thank you all for them... Long story short, the car is kind of inaccessible for me right now but when I can get after it around Memorial Day weekend... I'll take the seat out and look for all the options

Thank you all again!!

Last edited:
I'm 6'3", this is how I sit with my seat in the full back setting. Any further back and the steering wheel would be too far for proper driving.
Photo taken with me sitting comfortably in a 65 Barracuda, same platform as your valiant.
Could your tracks be backwards?

View attachment 1716244713
When you adjust your seat... are you pushing the lever forwards or backwards? This would tell me if my brackets are switched.

Thanks.

I have a pair of '66 seats where the lever goes forward to release the slide. I'll have to go look at another set to verify it's correct.

I have a pair of '66 seats where the lever goes forward to release the slide. I'll have to go look at another set to verify it's correct.
This would be helpful as I need to push back to adjust them… I do see another adjustment on the slide’s themselves but it would only gain me 3/4”.
I await your response

-
Back