650 cfm too much?

-

Saetun

Sinister Swinger
Reaction score
For an otherwise stock 318? came across a used Holley 7855 (PN 0-80555C) for a pretty decent price. Looking for an upgrade to the stock Carter 2bbl, but really in no hurry. Was originally thinking more of a 600cfm since i only intend to bolt on mild upgrades at best. (4bbl, alum intake, 340 cam & headers) Thx.

~Jeff

A 650 is probably a little large for an otherwise completely stock 318. But with a 340 cam and headers its not bad at all. It also depends on what you're using the car for. If its strictly a street driver, a 600 would probably be a little better fit.

But that doesn't mean a 650 won't work for you. I run a Carter 625cfm carb on my 318, which has only has a Streetmaster 318 intake, headers and what I assume is a stock, or very close to it, cam. I played with the jets and rods a little, and it runs just fine. Good response, great top end. I'd probably get slightly better gas mileage out of a 600, but I think from a performance standpoint it does just fine.

I Googl'ed that Holley number, and it comes up as "vacuum secondary." I really don't care for Holley spread-bore carbs, but I'd bet it will work OK

A 650 is probably a little large for an otherwise completely stock 318. But with a 340 cam and headers its not bad at all. It also depends on what you're using the car for. If its strictly a street driver, a 600 would probably be a little better fit.

But that doesn't mean a 650 won't work for you. I run a Carter 625cfm carb on my 318, which has only has a Streetmaster 318 intake, headers and what I assume is a stock, or very close to it, cam. I played with the jets and rods a little, and it runs just fine. Good response, great top end. I'd probably get slightly better gas mileage out of a 600, but I think from a performance standpoint it does just fine.

Yeah, it will only be a street driver.... I apreciate the input. i think ill continue to look for a 600 to fall into my lap. like I said, it will be a mild build & i think with what I have in mind, the 600 probably would work best. thx all.

rule of thumb has been to multiply your cubic inches by two to get the right carburetor size. this would be adiquate for a mild setup if you were into the fine tuning of carbs you could really dial it in by changing jets, power valves, shooters, whistles, springs ,cams ,accelerator pumps ect

-
Back