650 Thunder AVS

-

68mopar

Reaction score
I recently installed an Eddy 650 Thunder AVS on my 68 340 and find I'm running rich all the time. The guy at Summit where I bought it says I should install fuel pressure regulator to limit fuel to 6psi or install an eddy fuel pump. I do smell fuel once in a while.

Has anyone installed this carb or had the problem?

I have one on mine, It runs a little rich when it is first started up, I might have the choke set a little too rich, but after that it runs great, are you sure that the choke is pulling off all the way?? I have a 1 " eddy phenolic spacer on a knockoff Airgap. oh yeah and I have a mechanical Holly fuel pump and a gauge right on the line into the carb, it runs 6-7 psi all times no regulator.

I recently installed an Eddy 650 Thunder AVS on my 68 340 and find I'm running rich all the time. The guy at Summit where I bought it says I should install fuel pressure regulator to limit fuel to 6psi or install an eddy fuel pump. I do smell fuel once in a while.

Has anyone installed this carb or had the problem?

I have one on my 340. Had to jet it down as it was too rich from the factory. Runs great now. Make sure there is not more than 5.5psi Fuel press.

Get a strip tuning kit and read the little book that comes with it and grab a vacuum gage. My impression is the step up spring is probably too heavy, and the jet/rod combo is too rich.

Get a strip tuning kit and read the little book that comes with it and grab a vacuum gage. My impression is the step up spring is probably too heavy, and the jet/rod combo is too rich.

For some reason that manual I got with it was for a performer carb. I will see if I can download. I think I will start with pressure reg as think a stock mech pump puts out closer to 8 or 9 psi.

Thanks

I would look at the fuel pressure, the carb should be jetted fairly close, its not like you bolt it on to a V6, the 340 is a normal size V8. Now if it has a big cam the metering rod springs might be opening at idle, you can start the motor and slid the covers to the side and see if the rods are staying down at idle, if not get lighter springs.

Stock pumps are closer to 5 psi. Most mild performance ones are under 7. The Thunder series is the Performer carb... Just the Air Valve Secondary versions. So the info is correct in terms of jet/rod combos and the vacuum levels for the step up springs.

It sounds right, we had problems with some edelbrock carbs. You have to run a regualtor with there setup or they will not warranty anything for you. We had there whole setup on another car and went through3 carbs to get a good one. The first one had a very large metal shaving jamming the float and the next one had a hole in the float which caused it to leak massively. It seems you gotta tear everything down and check it out before you install it.

I got one on my stock 340. Got a tuning kit and after jacking with it a lot got it better. Also put on a 1/2 inch Phenolic spacer to help with heat soke.

Going to switch to a Holley when I rebuild my motor.

I have the same Carb.. Used a wide band air fuel ration setup and found it was very rich. Had to play with the tuning kit to get it just right. Wide band setup really helped a lot.
Also running a holley regulator with guage to limit fuel pressure to 5.5

What it is about fuel pressure is those carbs should be used 2 at a time, then fuel pressure isn't as fussy. Those are the old Carter style carbs, which were used in dual carbs set ups all the time.

I'm sure Eddy carbs are just like Eddy heads, you need to clean and adjust everything right out of the box.

Id say heck with it and sell the car if its the yellow 68 you have pictured. What do you want for it? JK!! Car looks good. I sold my sunfire yellow 68 GTS 10 years ago and miss it. Was sold out of Belgrade Maine and last I knew it was located in the mid west area. Black vinal, stripe , and interior. Auto w/ console.

Id say heck with it and sell the car if its the yellow 68 you have pictured. What do you want for it? JK!! Car looks good. I sold my sunfire yellow 68 GTS 10 years ago and miss it. Was sold out of Belgrade Maine and last I knew it was located in the mid west area. Black vinal, stripe , and interior. Auto w/ console.

I got it in Fort Myers. All numbers matching and almost completely stock /w original sheet metal. Unlike yourself, I would never sell mine especially to get a pink duster. JK!! A 340 duster and a BB challenger are next on my list.

Cheers

both your cars stink ill take them both to ad to my stable im not JK!!!!!! nice cars!!!!

-
Back