66 Barracuda A/C vent to dash dimension

-

66FormulaS273

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone by chance have the dimensions for the mounting bolt spacing for an under dash A/C vent? I'm replacing the original dash that was cut up for a radio/cassette player with a 66 non A/C dash with the correct radio which does not have the bolts mounted (see photo). There are 3 lips on top of the vent which I'm sure butts up against the underside of the dash (see photo). I know I can get close fitting it up but dimensions always help, especially when your drilling holes. Would any other support be necessary?

Thanks

IMG_E4491[1].JPG

IMG_4492[1].JPG

I have a 66 Barracuda AC dash in my 65 Dart wagon. Those 2 bolts are the only fasteners that hold the 65/66 vent in place. I can get the distance between the 2 bolts but likely will be several days before I can do it

I have a 66 Barracuda AC dash in my 65 Dart wagon. Those 2 bolts are the only fasteners that hold the 65/66 vent in place. I can get the distance between the 2 bolts but likely will be several days before I can do it
I'm not in any hurry, I can wait. Can you also tell me on the dash how far up the bolt is from the under side of the dash?
Thanks

Not sure if 67 would be the same, I thought 67 had a separate bracket that attached to the dash and then to the vent. I may wrong though

67 to at least 69 uses the 2 bolts. 68 might be a bit different. Due to the lower dash pad

Out of a 67 Dart.
PXL_20240611_165725727.jpg
PXL_20240611_165736546.jpg
PXL_20240611_165716515.jpg

The design of the 67 is a little different than the 66 but I'll bet the hole distance is the same. I'm assuming that lip butts up against the underside of the dash which I would like to confirm before drilling. Hopefully 65 Dartman can confirm that with his 66 dash.
Thanks for the photos

Do you happen to know how far up the bolts are from the bottom of the dash? Were there any problems with the vent hoses behind the unit?
Thanks

The best measurement i got was 8 & between 3/4 and 8 & 7/8th inch center to center of each bolt. I had no real problem snaking my OEM defroster hoses up there

Sorry that dash was a non AC. I added the AC and the dash from the AC car.

Can you mount the AC to the firewall and the dash to the car and place it where it fits correctly

Dash and AC/heater box are already installed and not coming out. Just have to be careful where I drill and based on the photos and dimensions this should work.

My point is, at least in 67, the vent fits into the AC unit in a precise location.

So the placement under the dash is dependent on the AC unit
It does and to some extent on the factory location of the AC/heater unit bolt mounting holes on the firewall . There is some wiggle room (not much) at the vent into the opening of the AC output location. My vent slipped right into place at the AC and also to the vent mounting area. Maybe cause the heater/AC unit fitted right into place on the firewall and vent right to the dash. Must have got really lucky as I cut out the original non-AC firewall and welded the AC firewall in after lots of measurements

-
Back