66 Barracuda Heads

-

66tced

Reaction score
Just found out my 273 66 cuda has both heads cracked beyond repair. Is my best bet finding another set of 273 heads, or is there another set of heads that will work on a 273. Casting number on the cracked heads are 2465315.

HELP!

It depends on what you intend to accomplish with the motor. If you want it stock then you need the same casting number heads. If you dont care - then 318 heads pre 1974 or so would work, but will lower your compression ratio, open chamber design. (The old 273 heads are closed chamber.) I would steer away from the post 74 heads or newer - or those that have the air pump bosses below on the exh ports. Not that these are bad heads, but that the boss on them interferes BADLY with the stock exhaust manifolds on the drivers side in particular. Some folks grind those off to fit, which is ok too. But I am lazy, but why do it if you can get heads that dont need that modification. Again it all depends on what you want to do.

My main goal is to keep the motor as street friendly as possible, I use the cuda as my daily driver.

I should think 273 heads should be easy to get - but make sure they are 66 or 67 as earlier won't work with your intake.

The 315 are the early heads. 65 and older. I just gave away a set that has been sitting around for years.

Some 315s were left over into the early 66 model year, if putting on your 66 make sure it has the 66 up bolt angle. Finding 4bbl heads will give u the stronger valve springs.

Later 318 heads will decrease your performance if smog heads or the open chamber.

It depends .... If you dont care - then 318 heads pre 1974 or so would work, but will lower your compression ratio, open chamber design.

If you decide to go with non-273 heads, just remember that 340/360 heads require the tops of the cylinder (on the block) to be notched for clearance due to the wider valves.

This is from and old "Direct Connection" Mopar Engine Speed Secrets manual:

View attachment MOPAR 273 HEAD ref.jpg
View attachment MOPAR 273 HEAD ref b.jpg

It seems that 318 heads are your best bet, saving you the hassles of modifying your block.

On the other hand 340/360 heads it will flow better, so it's definitely a trade off. Of course getting high performance out of a 273 is a challenge no matter how you look at it.

Just something to consider...

Good luck!

I understand that even Magnum V-8 heads will fit, and I recall they are closed chamber w/ a small volume like the 273. I think they have the requisite bolt holes for your accessories. The 5.2L is 318 cu in, so the valves may clear the 273 bore w/o cutting reliefs. You would need a different intake manifold, but that could be the Magnum "beer keg" to give you poor-boy fuel injection if you get a fuel controller (an old Holley Pro-jection is cheap, but can be quirky). You can also get carburetor-type intakes for a Magnum. The one downside is that those heads tend to crack between the intake & exhaust, due to induction-hardening there.

The original 920 casting heads are really good closed chamber "swirl port designed" heads. I'd go that route if I had to replace my heads.

-
Back