66 barracuda wheel size

-

RavenWinter

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 66 barracuda with 4.5” bolt pattern in the front & 4” in the back. I can’t seem to figure out what size wheels & tires i need. I like the old school cragers but I was told I can’t get those to fit the back.. any advice?

Cragar still makes the s/s wheel for 5 on 4" bolt circle. I know they make a 15x7 that should work, depending on backspace (look for around 4"bs on a 7" rim.) Jegs or summit can get them, shop around, might be cheaper elsewhere.

Cragar still makes the s/s wheel for 5 on 4" bolt circle. I know they make a 15x7 that should work, depending on backspace (look for around 4"bs on a 7" rim.) Jegs or summit can get them, shop around, might be cheaper elsewhere.

Thank you!!

I doubt 15 X 7's with any properly sized tire is going to fit in the back......or front for that matter.....unless you do some clearance work on the quarter panel. 225/70/14's work well on stock quarters though.

Yup, but, those early A's don't have the room that the '67-up models have. The 14 X 6's would work fine, but, unless you can get them in an odd offset (I haven't seen the small bolt patterns ones with options) and/or maybe use offset springs, I don't see the wider wheels working without putting the wrong size tire on them, or, modifying the quarter panel. I have 14 X 7's with 9 X 28" drag slicks on my race car, but, had to trim the quarter panel lip to use them.....and even then they will rub a little on a hard turn when the tire flexes a little. They work great straight line though! :lol:

Yup, but, those early A's don't have the room that the '67-up models have. The 14 X 6's would work fine, but, unless you can get them in an odd offset (I haven't seen the small bolt patterns ones with options) and/or maybe use offset springs, I don't see the wider wheels working without putting the wrong size tire on them, or, modifying the quarter panel. I have 14 X 7's with 9 X 28" drag slicks on my race car, but, had to trim the quarter panel lip to use them.....and even then they will rub a little on a hard turn when the tire flexes a little. They work great straight line though! :lol:
I don’t want to make any changes to the body. Are the 15x7’s to big in diameter or width or both? It originally has 13’s & they look small with a huge tire to me. I definitely don’t want the low profile look though either.

With a tire to fit the wheel properly, both. I'm sure you could find a 60 series or 50 series tire that would be short enough, but, then you'll have trouble with the width without some extra back spacing. I just don't think they make a Cragar SS with that back spacing in the small bolt pattern. If someone finds out differently, please let us all know!

With a tire to fit the wheel properly, both. I'm sure you could find a 60 series or 50 series tire that would be short enough, but, then you'll have trouble with the width without some extra back spacing. I just don't think they make a Cragar SS with that back spacing in the small bolt pattern. If someone finds out differently, please let us all know!
I think im just going to wait till the cars done & take it in to a wheel place. I’ll post on here what I find out but it will be a little while.

I have 15x7 small bolt pattern Cragar SS's all around on my 65 Barracuda. Don't remember the offset, but they actually clear better than the 14x6's that were on it before. Tires are 225/60/15. I also run the same wheels and same size tires on my 63 Valiant convertible.

65 Barracuda 3.jpg

DSCF0034-1.jpg

I doubt 15 X 7's with any properly sized tire is going to fit in the back......or front for that matter.....unless you do some clearance work on the quarter panel. 225/70/14's work well on stock quarters though.
15x7 with 4" backspace and 235/70's

10-18-19d.jpg

10-18-19b.jpg

One problem, though, with having the large bolt pattern up front and the small bolt pattern in the rear, as the OP does, is that the large bolt pattern Cragar SS's don't look exactly the same as the small bolt pattern versions. The lip around the center spoked area is noticeably larger on the small bolt pattern wheels, which makes the spokes on those wheels shorter. Compare the above with these:

photophilonlinecom_1_101104.jpg

One problem, though, with having the large bolt pattern up front and the small bolt pattern in the rear, as the OP does, is that the large bolt pattern Cragar SS's don't look exactly the same as the small bolt pattern versions. The lip around the center spoked area is noticeably larger on the small bolt pattern wheels, which makes the spokes on those wheels shorter. Compare the above with these:

View attachment 1715685511
What if i do an adapter in the back?

-
Back