[WANTED] 66 Column Shift Power Steering Column with V8 904 shift linkage

-

Bossanova5

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I'm doing a Slant Six to 273 Conversion from a 65 904 to a 66 904.
I'm looking for a 66 Valiant/Dart/ Barracuda Column Shift Power Steering column with a 904 transmission linkage for a V8. valiant power steering column

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm looking for a 66 Column Shift steering column with a 904 transmission linkage for a V8

Thanks
The 66 column is a 1 year only column as is the shifter cross shaft from the frame rail to the transmission bellhousing. Not sure about the rod from the cross shaft to the actual shift lever

Hopefully someone will have one available, otherwise I think I'm cooked on my Slant Six to 273 conversion project.

Depending on what you desire for an end result. You could use any 63-66 steering column, and a floor shifter. 63-64 column would not have a shifter mechanism. 65 would have a shifter mechanism (unless floor shift equipped), but the shifter could be removed. Not many of these cars were PS equipped.

Thought I could help but mine turned out to be a '65 for cable shift. There is a '66 4dr on L.A. Offerup.com. Can't remember if manual or auto. Trying to sell what's left but its clear they've been parting it out prior to putting the carcass up for sale. While a bit of a drive, Pick-A-Part in Ontario, Ca has a dedicated old car section and "A" bodies show up from time to time. There is also a small self serve auto junk yard on Alameda St just S.(?) of Pico Blvd. that also has a dedicated older car section. If you find a manual steering one I'd still buy it because the center shaft can be swapped out or shortened to correct length.

The issue I have is mine is a 65 column shift cable activated transmission. The floor shift cars came with bucket seats as part of the shifter fits between the seats. I have a bench seat, so I would have to find some period correct front bucket seats. What I really need is a V8 65 904 transmission. All other advice gladly accepted

Following up on this post, I will be using a M Body tilt column shift with the original 65 PS box in my Dart wagon. To connect the 2 will be using Borgeson U joints and a double D shaft
How are you controlling the transmission? Your 65 is cable operated? Would love to see pictures of the setup. Thanks

Are small block "A" body push button 904's that hard to find ? Agree with OP it would solve immediate issues.

They don't grow on trees. The 1965 V-8 904 is not a push button trans. It is cable shifted but has a different valve body (some other differences that don't matter) than the 64 down trans. The 65 is a one year only trans. I might have a 65 V-8 904 core trans on hand, but I am in Florida.

My error I often use push button and cable shifted synonomously. Appreciate the clarification.

They don't grow on trees. The 1965 V-8 904 is not a push button trans. It is cable shifted but has a different valve body (some other differences that don't matter) than the 64 down trans. The 65 is a one year only trans. I might have a 65 V-8 904 core trans on hand, but I am in Florida.
Thanks for reaching out. I will take the transmission if it's a 65 V8 904 and gladly pay for shipping.
Please let me know
Thanks

How are you controlling the transmission? Your 65 is cable operated? Would love to see pictures of the setup. Thanks
I see you might have found a 65 V8 904

I must apologize; I forgot to add that my transmission is a 92-96 A500, mechanically controlled with a rod from the the steering column like most 66-up Mopars (and other makes as well)

Following up on this post, I will be using a M Body tilt column shift with the original 65 PS box in my Dart wagon. To connect the 2 will be using Borgeson U joints and a double D shaft
i did something similar years ago for a client. it was in 67, so a little different, but i went about it in a similar fashion with the DD shaft and joints. the wiring wasn't too much of a bastard and most of the ugly fab/mount was hidden under the dash.

i think an ididit or flaming river piece would probably mount a little easier because of the universal aspect, buy you can't beat the price of a M tilt column from the yard!

-
Back