66 Dart changing to PS

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Working on my 66 Dart 270 series. This car's been heavily modified and I plan on doing a steering upgrade as well. This was a factory manual steer car with shifter on the column. I've already modified the column to eliminate the column shifter and I've shortened the column housing so it just pertrudes thru the firewall into the engine compartment leaving several inches of the shaft exposed. I've been running it this way for about 500 miles or so while I broke the motor in but now its time to move to the next stage of improvements.
That means changing to power steering. Now, I'm running TTI headers and removing the old gear box will be a problem. I'm thinking the best way will be to drop the k-frame some to make enough clearance to get the old box out and new box in. Then there's the length of the manual steering shaft needing changed as well as the coupling.
So I was thinking maybe its better to shorten the manual shaft that is in the car now and use a borgeson u-joint instead of changing it out to a PS shaft that is shorter and use a factory coupler. Has anyone here used a borgeson u-joint and did you change it while the shaft stayed in the car?
My new steering box is a Steer and Gear sport box. I am not sure what number spline a PS box has so I guess i'll have to check that out on the new box but I know its smaller then the manual box was. And I'll need to order the correct spline u-joint if I go down that path.
So has anyone done this change in a small block with headers and if so which way did you go?
Thanks
Rod

-
Back