66 Dart Front Brakes Question

-

FartDart94

Reaction score
I have a sweet 66 Dart fixing up for my High School Ride. My Dad and are are putting a 4 barrel on the 273. So were looking into the front disk brakes for this dart. Any of you guys run front brakes on your darts? If so it would be awesome to lead us in the right direction. Also we are running 14" Rims All four corners.

Thanks in Adv.

I run discs on the front of my 66 Dart from a donor 73 Swinger.To do the swap,you,ll need the Upper control arms,spindles,calipers,rotors,flex lines.You,ll also need to upgrade to a dual master cyl and a newer proportioning valve.You can read lots in the brakes forums on how to do the swap also.:D

P.S Welcome to FABO

I pulled a full Kelsey Hays 4-piston setup off a 66 Formula S that was in a yard in Colorado about 8 years ago. If you find a early A with Disc's thats a donor, its an simpler change-over. Spindles, Calipers, Rotors, dust shields, brake-line, proportioning valve(s) and master cylinder. This would also allow you to keep the same bolt pattern as on the back, probably small bolt pattern.

A lot of people prefer the change to the 5 on 4.5, which the 73-up single piston setup get you. Large bolt pattern has a much larger Rim selection. At which point an upgrade to the rear-end to an 8 3/4, or having the axles drilled&knurled and the drums drilled.

I have a sweet 66 Dart fixing up for my High School Ride. My Dad and are are putting a 4 barrel on the 273. So were looking into the front disk brakes for this dart. Any of you guys run front brakes on your darts? If so it would be awesome to lead us in the right direction. Also we are running 14" Rims All four corners.

Thanks in Adv.
Welcome to FABO! Run a search in the brake section and you'll find many threads on this subject. Basically, it's '66-72 A-body with Kelsey Hayes brakes if you want to keep the same small bolt pattern (and your existing wheels) or swap to the '73-6 A-body brakes with the larger bolt pattern wheels. There are also a whole slew of aftermarket setups. Some that use existing spindles and bolt pattern, some with completely different parts needed.

Similar to you with my 65 Dart. I looked at K-H brakes, but $$$ and getting rarer. The 73+ brake swap is pretty involved and only gives you heavy single piston sliders, though having the integral hub is nice since otherwise hubs are hard to find. I have a long-term plan to roll my own using some aluminum Wilwood calipers I bought. The store-bought kits are too pricy for me.

-
Back