66 dart gt dash harness

-

pyrojim

Reaction score
So, I'm laying out the harness and have a couple questions.

#1. Radio, it shows connections on the wiring diagram, but tey are not incorporated into the new harness?? Do I make my own and wire it as per the diagram??

#2. The diagram shows for turn signal flasher (red and black) but I seem to have an extra connector that looks the same? (red and yellow)? Emergency flasher???

#3. Ignition switch has 6 pins but the harness only has 5?? leaving one connector open?? Is there a purpose for this? Diagram shows switch with only 5 connectors???

Thanks for your help!
Jim

Attachments

• dash elec1.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 128
  • dash elec2.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 141
What brand of harness do you have? No instructions about the missing plugs? I would call the company and ask questions. tmm

Same with the wiper plug. I'm guessing that the additional pins are for the variable speed. Any insight is appreciated, but I will call M and H tomorrow.

Attachments

• dash elec3.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 147
M and H from year one. It fits like a glove, just don't want to burn the car down.

I don't blame you there. It looks like a nicely made harness. It would be a bunch of work to put it all together and not have it work. tmm

ok here's my take on the wiring harness.

yes wire the radio like an add on.
the switch hasmost likely been replaced sometime during it's life and it works with more than 1 car. leave the wire open.

see the top 2 wires red and yellow? they go on the wiper switch and should route to the plug on the wiper motor connections v4 and v5 on the electrical diagram

turn signal stat bottom 2 wires look to be 14 gauge red and black so that could be turn signal hookup (if it routes to the splice D1(black wire)) and the red one D2 goes to the plug for the turn signal wires in the steering column. check for continuity on the red one (pin #2 on the steering column plug if it's ther then it's the turn signal plug. if no continuity then I have no idea what it is:glasses7:
View attachment dash elec1.jpg

F1 & f2 connectors should be the wiper connector that you are missing
see first pic.
b1 is a purple (ooops violet )with a white trace that goes to your console backup light switch that has a violet with no tracer coming off of it to pin # 4 on the wiring that heads back to your trunk. the connector should be somewhere near the bottom curve of your drivers side front door jam behind the kick panel near the lower mounting screw.
View attachment Wiper switch wires 66 dart.jpg

if you'd like a better option that the stock 5volt limiter that I see inb your dash cluster. There is a company that makes a replacement that is solid state and is a direct replacement. I don't remember the name of the company but do a search. SSDan and others highly recommend it as a reliable fix. (I'm getting one for each of my darts as soon as I can get to that process in getting my car done).

As always, thanks Kurt!! That voltage limiter was sent to a place in Florida, I forget their name. Something engineering and they installed all solid state guts in it!!!

While we're on the subject if behind the dash, is there a support for the radio? See the stud in the radio, not sure how to attach it or what to use. I'm sure it doesn't float in the breeze??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 82
While we're on the subject if behind the dash, is there a support for the radio? See the stud in the radio, not sure how to attach it or what to use. I'm sure it doesn't float in the breeze??
there is a support that goes there it's just a strip of metal that has been bent to mount on the radio and then to the dash. (I can't remember if mine was up to the top of the dash or down to the bottom) I think it was up though since the ashtray might have been in the way. someone might have a picture of it and how it's mounted. I don't have any cars with radios in then contact 65dartcharger since he's doing a full up resto. he might have pictures or know where it's mounted.

-
Back