66 Dart Vin Question

-

Gouivel

Reaction score
Did all the Dart's in 66 have Vin's that started with LP or were there LL's? trying to figure out if it's "Premium price level" because it was originally a GT hardtop... Does trim package effect the vin? The car has no trim tags.

The 2nd character in the VIN is the trim level code, and yes there were "L" low level trim and "P" premium level option codes. There may also be a "M", "H" or "S" in 66, depending on the model and options. A GT would certainly be a high level trim optioned car!! Geof

First character is "L" for Dart (assigned in 1962 when Dodge's compact car was named the Lancer, never changed).

In '66, the second character is "L" for a Dart 170 model, "H" for a Dart 270 model, and "P" for a Dart GT. There are no LM or LS cars in '66.

First character is "L" for Dart (assigned in 1962 when Dodge's compact car was named the Lancer, never changed).

In '66, the second character is "L" for a Dart 170 model, "H" for a Dart 270 model, and "P" for a Dart GT. There are no LM or LS cars in '66.

The 2nd character in the VIN is the trim level code, and yes there were "L" low level trim and "P" premium level option codes. There may also be a "M", "H" or "S" in 66, depending on the model and options. A GT would certainly be a high level trim optioned car!! Geof

Thanks guys, you've confirmed my suspicions that this car was an original GT.
So I guess they all didn't come with the 273 standard cause this had a /6 as far as the vin says.

That's right, the 273 was not standard equipment on the GT. The 170 slant-6 was standard equipment, 225 optional, 273-2bbl or -4bbl optional.

That's right, the 273 was not standard equipment on the GT. The 170 slant-6 was standard equipment, 225 optional, 273-2bbl or -4bbl optional.

Yep, it had the 170 in it originally, but I didn't get it with the car. Came with a 74' 318 LA.

Yep, it had the 170 in it originally, but I didn't get it with the car. Came with a 74' 318 LA.

Bonus! The hard work has already been done. tmm (LP23D6)

-
Back