66 poly 318 trans behind 340 in 71 Demon.

-

GStewart

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to site, apologize in advance if this is long winded.
Recently purchased a 71 Demon ex /6 car. I bought it with a 69 340 backed by a 727 column shift and 8 3/4. Pulled the trans this am in preparation for a converter swap and noticed a few things. First the torque shaft for the column shifter between the frame rail and the trans case was much higher on the trans side almost into the floor seem. I goggled the trans #H2538333 and it seems it is a 1966 unit used behind a poly 318, its a B&M rebuild (based on the sticker on top of the trans) with a 26 spline input shaft. My question- is the tab on trans that the bracket bolts to higher on the early trans or is it possible I have a mix of /6-v8 parts cobbled together It seems if i would have to have a longer bracket on the frame rail side to level it out but then it would surely be hitting the floor. Second the converter I removed had a weight on it, I am sure it is a 69 340 so I should use a non weighted converter right?

You can not use a /6 trans behind a V8
The converter should be a neutral balanced unit. No weights. If there is a weight on it, the converter itself may have needed it to be balanced neutral. My only advise to the converter is ether get a new one or have that one checked out for being a neutral balanced converter.
IMO, I *think* a new one will be cheaper and easier.

x2 with Rumblefish. Torque shaft: Place trans in park, place column selector in park. Measure from column lever to trans lever. If needed cut and welt link between the two. Verify by choosing all the gears. Adjust if necessary. Don't forget the kickdown lever if you don't have a manual valve body.

The problem I am having is the torque shaft runs up hill from the frame bracket to the trans bracket, I am aware a /6 trans does not work behind a small block. I was referring to the shift linkage possibly being a mix of 904 /6 and v8 727 parts. The rod length from steering column arm to torque shaft appears to be right it seems trans side is too high.
Thanks

there were numerious brackets used on the trannys over the years between the 904 and 727. i used a bracket from a /6 904 from a 70 duster to finish my 318/904 in a 69 vailiant. and yes, the cross shaft should be level. where was the weight on the convertor? a 69 340 should be neutral balanced.

if the weight is on the front of the tc then it is for a cast crank(these are thick and are in pairs) and if it's on the back it's for factory balancing of the tc(these are thin and just one). a 69 340 should have a forged crank and not have a weight/weights on the front of the tc.

So keep us posted on this.

Is a Lokar or like cable out of the question?
I was thinking that stock parts maybe able to work if the right mix of parts is found. But I know this can be a bear.

Right now trans sitting on bench, ordered new converter. when I re install I will work out the linkage issue and update thread. Thanks again.

-
Back