66 Valiant questions

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just picked up another 66 Valiant 200 last night and I am needing some parts. I found a member close that has some parts off of a 66 Cuda. I am assuming that the radiator will bolt right in on this car. He also has a /6 engine that I am going to pick up just because I have 3 of these 66 Valiants and I may need a spare engine down the road but I was just wanting to know about the radiator.Thanks,Bill

It should bolt right in. The parts books just say 1966 A body with a 170 or 225 as long as it's the same transmission.

Last edited:
It will physically fit, just make sure it's the right one for your setup- manual or automatic.
And we love pics, especially of new acquisitions!
1694785270041.png

well I have an automatic and I believe this radiator was hooked up to a manual.
That can still work, but you'll need to plumb in an external transmission cooler- not a biggie.
Sometimes the manual transmission radiators could have the cooler lines, just capped off- especially if it's been replaced at any time in the last 57 years... who knows?
With 3 cars, it's worth it to have a spare regardless!

That can still work, but you'll need to plumb in an external transmission cooler- not a biggie.
Sometimes the manual transmission radiators could have the cooler lines, just capped off- especially if it's been replaced at any time in the last 57 years... who knows?
With 3 cars, it's worth it to have a spare regardless!
I guess I could take it to a radiator shop and have a different bottom tank put on. I may have a radiator on one of these parts cars I have up here. I wasnt even thinking about the difference between auto and manual radiators. I better wake up. thanks

Doesn't the 66 have an offset to one side with the radiator? I ask because supposedly I have one and one side bracket is longer than the other. I know it's different than the one in my 64.

i have a 64-65 Radiator in my 66 because champion has a smaller hose connection on their 66 slant radiator for some reason. i made a filler panel on the passenger side to bolt it in. yet had no issues with the 65 v8 radiator when i had that in the car.

Doesn't the 66 have an offset to one side with the radiator? I ask because supposedly I have one and one side bracket is longer than the other. I know it's different than the one in my 64.
I have no idea because this car was complete except for the radiator. Imagine that. But I think it is.

All the 19" radiators have the offset compared to the 22's.

4-12-18 192.jpg

so does the 66 Valiant take the 19" or the 22". I would like to know what the part # on that top hose is. I had a hell of a time hooking up a hose on my 76.
It could be either way. Without A/C, a '65 or '66 radiator will interchange. The core support is made for a 22" radiator. When they used a 19" radiator, one of the radiator brackets is wider to take up the space in the opening. With A/C or heavy duty cooling, they came with a 22" radiator. Either the 19" or 22" will fit and work for your application. '64 models were all 19" radiators, but, they only had a 19" core support to match, so they won't bolt into a '65-6 without modifications. They also made both 2 and 3 row cores too depending on how much cooling capacity was required/desired.

Oh, the factory part number for the upper hose is 2658388 for a 170 engine, and 2658403 for a 225. Gates or Dayco probably combine them and have a mark where to cut it off for the shorter application.

I have a 22" in my 66 but it has a HP273. My 70 came with a 19" and it had a 318. That didn't make much sense. My 70 also has dealer installed Chrysler Airtemp A/C but the kit doesn't include a bigger radiator. :BangHead: :BangHead: That I didn't get that either.

Higher HP engines usually came with bigger radiators than regular HP engines, but heavy duty cooling could be ordered for just about anything. Some of the dealer installed A/C kits came with a 3 row radiator, but, not all. Most came with a shroud and clutch type fan. I think a lot had to do with the engine size, rear end ratio, and horsepower rating.

I have a 22" in my 66 but it has a HP273. My 70 came with a 19" and it had a 318. That didn't make much sense. My 70 also has dealer installed Chrysler Airtemp A/C but the kit doesn't include a bigger radiator. :BangHead: :BangHead: That I didn't get that either.
some of the **** they did back then didnt make any sense. Matter of fact some of the sit they do today dont make any sense either.

It made some short term economic sense to Chrysler or they wouldn't have done it that way. When all these cars were brand new, the cooling system was more than adequate. When you got some miles, added horsepower, and corrosion in the system, you would have been better off ordering the heavy duty parts.

-
Back