66 Valiant trans options?

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of 66 Valiants so I've looked at a herd of them. If they exist, I've never seen one - did these cars ever come from the factory with a manual floor shifter? I've seen lots of column operated manual/auto setups, but never a floor shift 3- or 4-speed.

Last edited:
In my town of St Helens across the river from you there is a 66 Valiant 4 door that is factory 273 with a 4speed. I assume there are a lot of them.

Oh yes, many cam with 4 on the floor. My Mom had a Duster with a 3 on the floor.
Here is a wagon with an A-833 and a bench seat.
84973a8a908e5cce1521b5a90c3464c5.jpg

If you walked into a dealership in 1966 and bought a Valiant with no options the trans would've been a 3 speed manual on the column.
Optional was the 904 and a 4 speed. There was never a 3 speed on the floor until 1970. And it finally had a synchronized first gear!
Barracudas were Valiant based and many had 4 speeds. But never a 3 on the floor. If you have a 66 and want to convert, the parts are out there.

If you have a 66 and want to convert, the parts are out there.

I do have the parts to convert, I'm still working on where I want to take this car. The original question was idle curiosity for the most part. It's interesting that there were both bench and bucket seat versions of this.

64 and 65's had the round Hurst shifter. The 66's had the Inland. No floor 3 speeds, all were column. Automatic on the floor with bucket seats. 64-5 had a small console and the 66's had the coffin style full console.

I do have the parts to convert, I'm still working on where I want to take this car. The original question was idle curiosity for the most part. It's interesting that there were both bench and bucket seat versions of this.

If you're debating between 3 or 4 speed on the floor, I'm voting 4 speed.
I'm actually doing the same thing on my 64 Valiant. 3 on tree to 4 speed.
I just painted the 4 speed case and tail shaft housing this morning.

Yeah, the jury's out so far. I really like the nostalgic feel of three on the tree. If I decide to keep that, I will swap in an A230 so I can get a synchro first gear. If I decide to go floor shift I will have to choose between a 65 B&T 4-speed or a 78 4-speed OD.

We think alike. Mine's a convertible so when I take off from a light, people in their air conditioned SUV's are looking down at me rowing through the gears thinking what's that clown doing? I call my 3 on-the-tree a factory anti-theft device.
But...its not so good if you're in a hurry. I made the mistake of not replacing the pilot bushing and it's haunting me now.
I'm putting a 65 B&T in mine. Direct replacement size wise with the 3 speed. Got it at a swap meet with Hurst shifter for $350. My bargain has turned into a little money pit. The main shaft needed to be replaced, side cover was cracked in one of the bores, replaced the narrow 1-2 shifter fork with the upgraded wide piece and I just got a new bearing retainer from Brewers yesterday. It costs less if spread over time, right?
Took a couple years to collect all the parts, floor hump, BH etc. If i had to do it over i would've converted to slip joint but I thought it'd be cheaper to use the same driveshaft. Ha!

I just stumbled onto my own thread after a moderate hiatus.

We think alike.

I feel sorry for you sir, anyone that thinks like me is doomed. I'm the guy that moms point out, as they grab their little darling by the ear to hiss that if you don't learn to eat your vegetables, you will turn out Just! Like! Him!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I'm going to take a shot at turning my three-on-the-tree into a four-on-the tree, swapping out the 903 for the 833 OD and adding an under-dash cable/lever for reverse. I think it will work, and I think it will be a hoot. More on this as I move forward on the project.

-
Back