66 Valiant

-

66Vali

Reaction score
Ok so I just purchased a 66 Valiant...It has a slant 6 in it, but I want to put something bigger in it...I'm just starting out and learning as I go...So I'm wondering what motor I can put in it????

I will be taking lots of pics and updating reguarly as I move forward with my first ever car build...

Cheers

66vali

EDITED!!!!! Sorry guys....Thanks chryslerfat!!!!

Better modify that quote. A 350 is a Chevy motor and talking about putting that in will get you thrashed by the others here. It does however have the same K frame for the 6 and V8 Mopar motors so a few parts are needed and easily found for the swap.

I have a 64 and it was my second project car ever (perpetual work-in-progress/daily driver). Very easy and fun cars to work on. You can put a small-block V8 in your car with very little trouble, the hardest part is coming up with a good-breathing exhaust that isn't big $$$, but it can be done. Several things need to be upgraded for better safety and reliability like the front brakes and rear axle but overall it is a pretty straightforward build with little to no cutting/welding/fabrication needed to make it work. Even waking up the slant will pay off, these cars are light and handle well and with a little more hp are great fun on the street! Good luck and ask plenty of questions and post plenty of pics as you go!
-Tim

Optik said:
I have a 64 and it was my second project car ever (perpetual work-in-progress/daily driver). Very easy and fun cars to work on. You can put a small-block V8 in your car with very little trouble, the hardest part is coming up with a good-breathing exhaust that isn't big $$$, but it can be done. Several things need to be upgraded for better safety and reliability like the front brakes and rear axle but overall it is a pretty straightforward build with little to no cutting/welding/fabrication needed to make it work. Even waking up the slant will pay off, these cars are light and handle well and with a little more hp are great fun on the street! Good luck and ask plenty of questions and post plenty of pics as you go!
-Tim

I should add that I've done a complete driveline upgrade front to back in an carport with mostly hand tools and very little assistance, so a lot of specialty tools and advanced shop equipment is not really necessary for working on these car, another reason why they make a great vehicle for the beginning hot rodder.

Ok so I just purchased a 66 Valiant...It has a slant 6 in it, but I want to put something bigger in it...I'm just starting out and learning as I go...So I'm wondering what motor I can put in it????

I will be taking lots of pics and updating reguarly as I move forward with my first ever car build...

Cheers

66vali

EDITED!!!!! Sorry guys....Thanks chryslerfat!!!!

a small block is a bole in deal.. get the proper mounts, center link and manififolds/headers and its a cake job.

Here is a link to the engine swap mount kit these guys have an excellent product.
http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsType/EngConvKits.html#head1
Exhaust is the hard part headers are available but pricy and somewhat difficult to install,factory 273 manifolds can be purchased right here i'm sure there are guys here that have some extras. Search the forsale section on this site for what you need or mopar swap meets,there are many guys on here that are building the slantys up and could give info in going that route. Whatever you do don't put a chevy enging in it or we'll find you and ruin your day. Have fun with your car welcome to FABO.

Welcome to FABO, the best site on the web. As mentioned above, the swap to V8 power is a no-brainer, and the fun level of the early cars is off the charts!! Good choice on the 66 Valiant, one of my favorite cars!! Geof

I got a 66 Valiant Signet for my first project car about 3 years ago. At first it looked pretty plain - like a grandma car. Since then it has grown on me and I'm more excited about it the more I make changes.

My buddy and I stripped it down, gave away the slant six and tranny :banghead: (even barely running it was worth something - and I ended up buying a built upTF904 a few weeks ago).

Some of my more conservative earlier ideas gave way to what I have now which is much more of a street/strip approach:

-Front disc brake conversion - '70 Dart
-Mini tubbed
-Autoweld Utlimate II 4-link coilover rear suspension
-Narrowed 8.75 rear end (haven't decided on gears yet)
-Dutchman axles
-Cragar V-5 Black Steel wheels
-M/T Sportsman Street Radials
-mildly stroked 360

I've done all the work myself and its been a great learning experience. I think I have the momentum to make it a runner this year. Now only if my checking account has enough momentum...

Stick with it and if you get bogged down don't consider it a failure. You'll find the energy and the time again when life allows it!

wp000388.jpg

wp000388.jpg

I've had some 66 Valiants, still have the convertible, and wish I had them all. I had one with a 273 4-bl and it beat 283 Chevies and 289 Fords right and left. One day an acquaintance came up behind me in a 66 Valiant 340. I stomped on it and he went around me like I'd hit the brakes instead of the gas. I'd definitely go small block but, if you can swing it, the biggest small block you can afford. I still would like to do your project.

I wouldn't call a V-8 swap trivial, and that often leads to a full performance upgrade like front disk brakes and better rear end, which ends up changing almost everything but the shell of the car. Spend much time reading before you jump in. I have a slant, SB, and BB, and am happy with all.

-
Back