66 Valient, Exhaust Manifold Options

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking fo exhaust options for my 66 Valiant. Late model manifolds etc. Heard the 92 Dodge Ram 1500 manifolds are an option. Anyone with some experience on this

Depends how your car is optioned.
Power steering or column shift pretty much require use of the factory early A driver's side manifold (but will require grinding or an exhaust spacer to be used on later model heads).
Manual steering and floor shift/pushbutton shift, you can fit the late A (including the HP manifold) and the Magnum, although they may (will) require trimming the outer column back a fair amount, and the Magnums may require a bit of additional grinding for column/coupler clearance, and/or a change to a steering u-joint. Some people have also angle milled the manifold face to gain the needed clearance.
Most all passenger side manifolds (both center dumps and rear exit) that I have seen fit fine, some tighter than others, but nothing that can't be cured with a little creative hammer work to the fenderwell or grinding of casting ribs on the manifold.
There are header options, but I won't get into those since you specifically asked about manifolds.

Looking fo exhaust options for my 66 Valiant. Late model manifolds etc. Heard the 92 Dodge Ram 1500 manifolds are an option. Anyone with some experience on this
What engine and heads are you running?

What engine and heads are you running?
273, .040 over, forged flat top pistons, CR calculated at 9.1, Isky E4 solid grind, stock valvetrain, Edelbrock D4B, Carter 9636, Electronic ignition. I already have a modified single exhaust going into a Dynomax muffler and then into the stock HP resonator. Currently the car in the motor is a 74 318.

This is the car

4564C60D-C3B0-49CF-8383-EF1E550451DB.jpeg

What are your expectations in spending the time and trouble for this? How hard are you running the 318? Doubt you won't seen much (any?) difference in normal (under 3500 RPM) between a stock early A and any other factory manifold. There is just not enough exhaust gas to even notice the restrictions in the early manifold at normal driving RPM. Headers are another conversation though. If the tubes are long enough it can make a noticeable difference in normal driving RPM. I run the stock early A on Edelbrock heads on my 360 because I never get it above 3500 RPM.

-
Back