66dart gt needs new motor

-

66dartgtboy

Reaction score
hi im new and im wondering if i can fit a 318 or 340 or bigger motor into my car its a slant 6 3speed on the colum and i know i might have to swap trannys wat tranny would be good i want maybe 300-400hp and if i need to swap trannys would i have to change anything like drive shaft length im looking for a plug and play basicly

318-360 will fit with minimum difficulty. 904 automatic fits in stock tunnel fine. You will probobly have to have a driveshaft built and with 300-400 hp your stock 7-1/4" rear will not last long. An 8-1/4 out of a 73-up dart, duster, valiant will hold up fine.

As said already, a 318 360 will fit in there. I put a 318 in my 66 Dart 270 plus put a 4 speed in it too. was a auto. Had to weld in the hump for the 4 speed, but wasn't really all that hard. And yes, you would need to upgrade your rear end for that kind oh hp. As for the drive line I know you would need a new one if you go to a 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 rear. Let us know more about oyur car, and post some pics of it for us to enjoy.

66 dart easer than my 65 you have a normal shifter. So any sb 904 will fit, you will need v8 springs, convertion mounts, new rad, throttle linkage for v8.. Lots more but that is a start. welcome

The most critical item (IMO) in this swap are the exhaust manifolds. You'll need some OE 273 cast iron pieces (66 or older) or tube headers. Probably easiest are the shorty tube headers that Layson's restorations sells, google layson's to find them. Not sure also if you need a different center link on the steering linkage, maybe someone else knows. Easiest motor upgrade (cheapest) is a 318, you can use the stock 66 273 engine mount brackets with NO modifications, to use a 340 or 360 you need to either modify the drivers side bracket or buy new mounts from Schumacher, google them to locate them as well. Enjoy.....

If you are looking for plug 'n play... you may be interested in this. I am in the process of bringing my 66 barracuda back to stock form... It currently has a low mileage performance 360, complete with new ignition system and carburetor, coated 5208 hooker headers, performance 904 transmission with reverse manual valve body and B&M shifter.... I have all reciepts from the engine rebuild.

I wasn't really thinking about pulling the drivetrain anytime soon (or selling it for that matter), but if you are interested and/or live close to Dayton, OH, we could probably work something out.

-
Back