66Valiant conv Opinions Please ! stay true or change motor/more a disabled Vet Asks

-

ibfunru

ibfunru
Reaction score
I have a 66 valiant with the original 273 2brl, runs fine sounds fine smokes badly, 26000 miles showing one past repaint stock ....guys should I keep it true to what it has always been or pull the 273 and keep for some future buyer in a box while I use a new 318, 340, 360 for as long as I own it, I am sure if I did that you all may suggest to get rid of the stock 13 inch tires and hub caps?.....Also I see 2507 made but cannot find out how many were only v8 like mine.....If I do change to a larger motor at what point do I have to then change the trans to a stronger unit and same goes to rear end mods.....This car is as old as me, and being I am a disabled vet it is in better shape than me too (haha) ......does this car deserve to just stay what it has always been - just rebuild the motor and keep it true.....I value your opinions both ways
I owned a 1970 4 door as a 19 year old for 4 years, then a time capsule 67 2 door 3 speed on Column both 6 cyl while in service in South Carolina for 4 years too.....just found this 66

Drive it and update/repair what is there and then make the engine switch or change
A 66 273 early A body would stay that way if it was mine....
Can we take a look at it :happy1:
Heck!! I have had a few folks say V8 mine for almost 5 years now :D

What a great plus to have a V8 66 Valiant :cheers:, I am staying /6 :toothy9:

Attachments

• Picture%20222%20004.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 122
Keep the 273 and build it, up the compression a lb and update the exhaust with electronic ignition .. Wow!! Nice for sure, No way would I change the 273 for anything..
Look in to some modes/updates there is for these great 273 and enjoy the drive:burnout:

The pictures make it look better than it is, it has been painted once before and the pictures don't show the rust now rumbling at the back quarters.....I was told the top and covers were original....no way they are that nice and 46 years old.....no way....pretty cool though having one same age as me......let me know if you need mosquito control....I can come drive the car though your neighborhood and smoke them out haha

I had the same problem with my 67 when I bought it. A quart of oil every 100 miles or so, more if I was driving it like the 16 year old I was. Upon teardown, it had three broken oil rings and one cracked piston. It still ran smooth as can be. The cheapest option would be to find a fresher motor to replace it. A full rebuild will cost more obviously. A couple cans of spray paint, and the original valve covers and air cleaner will fool most casual observers. Sweet car, enjoy it!

I can offer an opinion as I am also working on redoing a 66 Valiant convertible... if it were mine I would certainly keep the 273 motor that you have and rebuild that. You already have the motor, why buy another?? I would also build the 273 to "Commando" specs, ie. the hotter cam and 10.5/1 compression pistons and 4 bbl carb. That should be plenty of power to do what most any 318/340/360 could offer!!

If you are going to change to a later motor, you will also have to change your torque converter for the larger front register. Your 66 converter will have the small register!!

Personally, my project is also a V8 car, but the original motor is long gone. I am going to swap the motor from my Cuda into it...coincidentally a "commando" built motor. I am also making a clone of my 66 Cuda and will be painting it to match, and I will also be using all Barracuda trim instead of the Valiant trim!!

Good luck with your project, Geof

Attachments

• 100_3052.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 95
I agree, I am doing a /6 to 273 swap. The engine is getting refreshed a bit. My /6, although it will never die, smokes and drips too much. And, I want some more power. Also doing a front disc conversion.

I don't think there's any reason to worry about keeping it original. These cars are not in great demand as collectors cars so just make it a cool and good running vintage car. The 273 is a nice running engine but I would think you could find a decent 318 which might save some time and maybe money ( note; never works out like that for me). Any thing larger or hotter than a 318 4bbl and you should consider an 8 3/4" rear axle. The disc brake conversion is also recommended. After that with some sorting out of the usual issues found with a 40 year old you have a great car.

i'm with cosgig here if you have the original motor rebuild it to the commando specs as he said and add the performance upgrades like the LD4B 4 BARRELL INTAKE,CARB AND HEADERS..and it will make for a sweet ride...jmho...sd426

Personally, I prefer cars in their original configuration. Numbers matching is not necessary. In fact, not even preferred.

-
Back