66valient just dies

-

Kathy Ice

Reaction score
Any idea why a car that is running perfectly just cuts off. It's not missing, not getting hot (or not reading that way.) Can be setting at a red light or making a turn or just driving. Please let me know what you think.

Sounds like the coil is getting ready to quit. I had one car that did that and it was the wire to the amp gauge was loose.

One word....ballast resistor!! It's the white ceramic thing plugged into the harness along the firewall! Costs around $5 to replace, and every Mopar owner alive has had at least one go out on them!! Happens all the time, with the exact symptoms you describe!!

One word....ballast resistor!! It's the white ceramic thing plugged into the harness along the firewall! Costs around $5 to replace, and every Mopar owner alive has had at least one go out on them!! Happens all the time, with the exact symptoms you describe!!

Thank you. Going to try both suggestions.

Check out how your coil is mounted if it turns out to be okay, especially if it's an aftermarket. Even though bolted into the stock position on the intake manifold, it's horizontal -- move it upright to the firewall and watch the problem disappear. According to the MSD guy, laying on its side leaves too much room inside and the cooling oil doesn't reach the area it needs to. Had the same problem on my '83 D150 and repositioning the coil fixed it right up.

Another guess would be the points,
or the T-port sync; namely the throttle too far closed, usually due to too much timing, but sometimes the bushings on the throttle shaft can be the culprit.
And of course the ever-waiting-to-make-trouble intake air leak.

On my old farm tractors the condenser in the distributor will do this also they just die but will restart.

-
Back