'67 273 Air cleaner Question

-

FJRdoc

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My brother's '67 Barracuda notch has a 273 2 barrel intake. His car is in storage and I don't have access to it at this time.
He purchased an original 4 barrel intake and we are now looking for the correct AFB carb. His original air cleaner is black without snorkels. I have been able to find 14 inch carb base plates that will fit an AFB opening. Does anybody know what diameter the original air was?

Attachments

• P1020136_fixed.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 253
If you're looking for the dia of the air filter, it's 10", and the Fram part number is CA-160

10 inch unsilenced air cleaners all about the same. Variety of finishes on the hats, possible breather tube on side of hat, variety of bases. The 2 carb numbers I know are for automatic trans, 4295 , and CAP was 4305S.

10 inch unsilenced air cleaners all about the same. Variety of finishes on the hats, possible breather tube on side of hat, variety of bases. The 2 carb numbers I know are for automatic trans, 4295 , and CAP was 4305S.

Those numbers are for 1967. 4120 is for 1966 without CAP. You have a good Top, and all you need is a correct bottom plate. They can be made from a 2 barrel truck air cleaner with the 10 inch air filter. 70' and 80's? The original carbs work best with the original intake, because of the small secondary holes in the intake. Unfortunately the original carbs use a smaller air cleaner base plate than Holley or newer Carters or Edelbrock carbs. Slantsixdan an was looking for a 2 barrel 10 base plate if you want to sell it.

Those numbers are for 1967. 4120 is for 1966 without CAP. You have a good Top, and all you need is a correct bottom plate. They can be made from a 2 barrel truck air cleaner with the 10 inch air filter. 70' and 80's? The original carbs work best with the original intake, because of the small secondary holes in the intake. Unfortunately the original carbs use a smaller air cleaner base plate than Holley or newer Carters or Edelbrock carbs. Slantsixdan an was looking for a 2 barrel 10 base plate if you want to sell it.

...or just do what I did and buy a cheapie 10" chrome air cleaner and just use the base! I think it cost me $15!

...or just do what I did and buy a cheapie 10" chrome air cleaner and just use the base! I think it cost me $15!

That works the best if you have a new carb, but you would need an adapter to use one on an original 1967 down AFB.

To answer the original question, the 4bbl air cleaner is the same size as the one in the photo, but chrome.

Attachments

• P2080002cr.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 189
I'll post a "wanted" ad for a 10" 4 barrel base plate. Maybe somebody has one they want to get rid of.

-
Back