67 273 Timing

-
at least 10 with unleaded fuel. My 273 is set at 12 btdc

My 2 bbl 273 set at 6 BTDC. The spec, IIRC, is 5 +/- 2 degrees BTDC. Try 5 and 7, see if you can tell a difference, pick what suits you. I tried 12 BTDC, but that was too much advance at higher rpm..

I have a Mopar Performance electronic ignition on mine.

Yep. 10-12 with the vacuum advance hose disconnected and plugged. I use a golf tee to plug the hose. works great! If it pings when you stand on it back it off a couple of degrees. toolmanmike

Interesting. Those of you running 10-12 degrees BTDC on a '67 273- are these manual or automatic transmission cars? 2 bbl or 4 bbl? IIRC, there are differences in original timing specs based on these different options. Wish I had my factory manual handy to confirm.

Also, factory original points-based distributors or aftermarket electronic ignition?

67 273 2 brl and 904. electronic ignition spark advance disconnected.
Those old factory manuals might state 0 +/- 2 for some slants and -5 +/- 2 for v8s. Today we have to go with whatever works best. Advance until it pings then back off until the pinging stops.

Redfish- didn't you run that engine at 16 degrees BTDC right after the electronic distributor conversion? Seem to recall finding an old post to that effect.

When you say "advance disconnected", that's the vacuum advance, right?

Redfish- didn't you run that engine at 16 degrees BTDC right after the electronic distributor conversion? Seem to recall finding an old post to that effect.

When you say "advance disconnected", that's the vacuum advance, right?

Yep. Vacuum advance disconnected.
16 btdc made it harder to start after warmed up. Again.., Whatever works best. I'm going to adjust the valve lash, replace the alt belt, and hope to leave the hood closed until spring.

I checked my '67 factory manual for 273 timing specs.

For non C.A.P. engines
Timing spec for a 2bbl manual transmission is 5 degrees BTDC
Timing spec for a 2 bbl automatic and all 4 bbl is 10 degrees BTDC.

All C.A.P. 273's are speced at 5 ATDC.

There are differences in the mechanical advance curves corresponding to the differences in base timing. My electronic aftermarket distributor (installed 1992) appears to have the 2bbl manual mechanical advance curve by default, but both mechanical and vacuum advance are adjustable.

So at 6 BTDC, I'm running close to factory spec for a manual, and so are you at 12 BTDC with an automatic

I checked my '67 factory manual for 273 timing specs.

For non C.A.P. engines
Timing spec for a 2bbl manual transmission is 5 degrees BTDC
Timing spec for a 2 bbl automatic and all 4 bbl is 10 degrees BTDC.

All C.A.P. 273's are speced at 5 ATDC.

There are differences in the mechanical advance curves corresponding to the differences in base timing. My electronic aftermarket distributor (installed 1992) appears to have the 2bbl manual mechanical advance curve by default, but both mechanical and vacuum advance are adjustable.

So at 6 BTDC, I'm running close to factory spec for a manual, and so are you at 12 BTDC with an automatic

Yep thats the 67. 64 through 66 FSM may not be the same.
I think the adjustment in the vacuum advance is event like when it comes in or how fast it moves. Doesn't effect the total travel.
Long as it stays disconnected I dont have to worry about it.

All

I should have included all my information, so here it is:

67 273 stock
4 Barrel stock
4 Speed Manual
Mopar Performance Electronic Ignition Kit from Herb's Parts.

The guy at the Herb's Parts tent to me to set the air gap at 40.

Bear

-
Back