67-68 fender tag decoding

-

RzeroB

Reaction score
I can decode 69 and up fender tag codes from memory all day long, but the 67-68 format and codes are throwing me a nasty curve ball. I've searched this site, and the web, to see if I could get some schooling on how to do it but I'm just finding anything definitive on it.

As an example I copied the following pic from another thread here on FABO http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=236271

attachment.php

So here is what I do know about them. I understand that the lines are numbered 1-7 from bottom to top. Line 1 I now pretty much get as being from left to right: model line/price class/body style; engine; trans; wheel and tires; and SPD. As for the last six digits I'm not so sure - since the example above starts with a 0, and from what I know VINs started at 100001, my guess is that it's the order number?

Anyway, I also get the "AX TRM PNT UBS" codes in line 3, but what I don't get is for example the "1" under the "A" in "AX"? In the original post "ROCKY JS" says it decodes to a 2:76 rear gear - but how would I know that if ROCKY JS didn't tell me? Where is the code breaking table that tells me a 1 equates to a 2:76 rear gear?

The numbers in the beginning of line 3 I interpret as being for certain moldings - but which ones? Once again, how do I know the 2 is for drip rail moldings? What would a 3 or 4 molding be? Where is the code breaking table for these?

Then there are the letters in lines 5 and 7. Each specific letter stands for something but what? About the only one I have figured out is that the capital R on line 5 is for the radio option but that's about it. What are all the other letters for? Where is the code breaking table? How can I get schooled up on this so I can read 67-68 codes off of a fender tag as easily as I can 69 and up codes?

As always, any help on pointing me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1 under the A is the axel ratio, if there were an 8 under the X it would be a sure-grip. The coding is similar to the later, but only uses one digit of the code. For example Fender tag code F7 is code 36(7) formula-s. The lines are also similar to the later as to what goes under what letter.
I use a lot of sources. parts, service manuals, but a good one with factory information is Barry's http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml

I've created an excel sheet with all the codes I found over the years. And is mostly what I use to decode. In your case
code 40x If you have broadcast sheet under axel it will show code 401
401 2.76 Ratio Axle
402 2.93 Ratio Axle
404 3.23 Ratio Axle
406 3.55 Ratio Axle
407 3.91 Ratio Axle
408 Sure Grip

Now where does the 40x come from? The actual build card that the fender tag, vin and broadcast sheet is created from at the factory comes from is an 80 column Univac (IBM referred as) card that has 9 lines plus an X and Y. So column 40 with line ticked would be codes 401 = 2.76 ratio. If 8 were also ticked it would be 408= sure-grip.

1 under the A is the axel ratio, if there were an 8 under the X it would be a sure-grip. The coding is similar to the later, but only uses one digit of the code. For example Fender tag code F7 is code 36(7) formula-s. The lines are also similar to the later as to what goes under what letter.
I use a lot of sources. parts, service manuals, but a good one with factory information is Barry's http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml

Thanks for the reply Rocky, but I'm still not getting it. Ok, now I see that only the last digit of the code is placed under a corresponding letter. But how do you know what category or group item each letter represents? In your example above you state that a "F7" code equates to the 36(7) Formula-S package. However if I applied my 69 and later code experience I would deduce that the "F" group is for electrical and that a "F7" code might stand for a 62(7) 59 amp battery. So I'm just not clear on this yet. Where can I find a decoder table that tells what each letter "group" on the tag represents? Thanks!

Anyone have a good legible copy of a 67-68 Broadcast Sheet? If you do can you post it to this thread? Being that the Broadcast Sheet is the source document for the fender tag, seeing how it's organized into groups will be a huge help in understanding how the fender tag is coded. Thanks in advance!

actually, the build card is the source document. I hope this comes through it is a copy paste of a build card they are very poor photo copies so I had to use a few different ones to get the all the information.

Here is a partial copy of a broadcast sheet. notice the preassigned numbers such as 40_. the 40 corresponds with the 40th line on the build card. if 1 is punched on the build card the broadcast sheet will have a 1 in the box under the 40 making it code 401. the box next to it on the broadcast sheet says sure-grip 408. It has 3 letter because it either does or doesn't have it. So if an 8 is in the box below the 408 it is code 408.

Anyone have a good legible copy of a 67-68 Broadcast Sheet? If you do can you post it to this thread? Being that the Broadcast Sheet is the source document for the fender tag, seeing how it's organized into groups will be a huge help in understanding how the fender tag is coded. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 67 build card (1138x1135).jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 655
  • bcast sheet (1138x512).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 520
this is what ones looks like from Chrysler. I have legible copies but the site shrinks them down to where it is hard to read..

Attachments

• pauls IBM Card.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 401
here a D series b-cast which is 67-8

Attachments

• 1968 D code Build Sheet clean copy.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 446
I have to tell you though I have spent years to learn and gather this information. I don't mind sharing but you will find few that will in any depth. No one taught me. I learned the hard way hours and hours of research till my eyes bled.

Thanks Rocky. Yeah, I hear you about not "paying my dues" and "standing on the shoulders of others", so I appreciate you going out of your way to help "teach me how to fish" versus just giving me a fish for the day or leaving me hanging.

I guess the 68 and earlier format must of been confusing for people at Chrysler too because they developed and instituted a new easier to read format in 69. The 69 and up code is WAY easier to understand then the 68 and earlier code.

there's one on my 68Resto thread

Attachments

• Build Sheet.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 413
I'm looking, looking, looking, but I still can't seem to make out the relationship between the build sheet and the fender tag. By that, I mean that I dont "see" how most of the letters on lines 5 and 7 of the fender tag relate to specific item "groups" on the build sheet. I can deduce that "R" is for radios; "S" is for AC; "X" is for window tinting; and "Y" is for convertible or vinyl top, but that's about it. All the other letters don't seem to have any rhyme or reason as to what they correlate to?

My goal is to become "fluent" in 68 and earlier code so that while cruising the car shows I can glance at a 68 or earlier fender tag and be able to decode it mentally like I can with the 69 and up fender tags.

There has to be a Rosetta Stone somewhere for figuring this stuff out. This is what I have come up with using the decoder tool on MyMopar.com.

68fendertagcodes.jpg

-
Back