67 Barracuda A/C Vent Removal

-

DallasMan2000

Reaction score
Anybody know how to remove the A/C vents in a 67 Barracuda. There is no compressor in the car and the vents are a bit unsightly. Here are a few pics below. It feels like there is a nut inside of the two holes shown at the bottom. I am hoping to just pull the vents out and still be able to blow air in the feet area during winter.

Here are the pics

IMG_6761.jpeg

IMG_6760.jpeg

IMG_6759.jpeg

I have the 67 Service Manual and Product Bulletin but did not see AC vents in there.

its just those two nuts holding it in place. there should be threaded posts sticking down from your dash frame that those nuts are attached to.

its just those two nuts holding it in place. there should be threaded posts sticking down from your dash frame that those nuts are attached to.
Yes, you need a deep well socket and put it in the two large holes...

Yes! Thank you J Anderson. So can I remove the bolts by unthreading the nuts under the dash? See pic below. Also, if I make a black plate to put over the coil that is now exposed, will the heat still work in winter?

IMG_6766.jpeg

I would really like to replace the vents with shiny new ones if they can be bought. Anyone know where I can buy? Also, I would pay to have the one I pulled off re-chromed. Seems like they are plastic so that may not be an option.

Any ideas?

IMG_0307.jpeg

Those chrome vents are not available repop. They can be removed from the plastic housing and polished up. Be careful! Each individual set of vents work in unison, there is a connector inside each one. Tedious work for sure. I cleaned the black plastic and then used black liquid shoe polish on it.
I mounted a triple gauge set under it. I don't trust 60 year old gauges. Left the oem ones in the dash for looks.

20230508_214229.jpg

I see a company in RI called Instrument Specialties that refinishes similar parts. Just sent them an email with pics. Anybody use them for re-finishing?

There is also a plastic set that is all plastic that comes from later cars if you want to lose weight and look cheaper...LOL

Is the all plastic one available to buy new/refurbished? I am wanting something that looks nice and would gladly pay for new vent set if available and fits correctly.

73+ changed how the vent connects to the ac box

72 was black plastic with argent accent. You can see a bit of them in my car

IMG_7847.jpeg

Last edited:
They are a BUGGER to take apart and polish. One person sent his to me last year to reassemble as they could not get them back together. I have a spare vent I can get parts from as there is a chance some vanes are broken or will be broken when done.

Yikes, I would rather have the vents in the car but will leave them out if they cannot look nice.

I successfully disassembled the vains AND got them back together!

But what a pain and headache.

What I did discover is soaking the chrome parts in evaporated shined them up with no effort!

I found this out because I soaked some but not all if the vains and on reassembly noticed so we were shiny and some were dull.

Last edited:
you could totally disregard that huge piece if you aren't going back with air and have a simple metal cover fabricated with any size hole you desire to put a diffuser in.

Thanks for the ideas on some alternates.

I just got a quote back from Thomas at Instrument Specialties in RI to disassemble the vents, re-chrome and re-assemble for $275 each. He says they have done them before. So I guess that would be $825 plus shipping since there are 3 vent assemblies.

Going to have to give some thought to this one. I am having some delusions of getting the a/c restored/operational someday. Thinking that may not even be possible with the refrigerant changes.

-
Back