67 barracuda argent

-

dan5354

Reaction score
Hey out there. I have seen 67 barracudas with both light argent and dark argent in the relief of the center trunk trim - which is correct. I am thinking of painting the relief in the hood inserts dark argent since the light kind of looks like it's trying to cover bad chrome - any thoughts on that?

The hood insert relief should be painted a light non-textured argent! Here's a pic of my inserts with original paint! Geof

Attachments

• image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 198
I have very nice OEM parts stored here. If I thought pics of them would help I would drag them out. The argent on that tail panel is about the same as used in grille surrounds.
The argent on the tail lamp lens bezels is darker. I have painted all 3 pieces across the center of the tail the same darker shade before and will again. Uniformity and as you stated, the darker just looks better.
I've seen a few examples of grille surrounds painted body color. I like it. That perimeter chrome gets the illusion of being a very small trim applied to a more complete header panel. If I could get rid of the texture on those tail pieces I might try the same treatment there too.

Thanks for the info. My tail light bezels are darker too. I thought it was just somebody just mismatching paints, or not bothering to paint them when doing the center panel. I guess mine are original too. Does anyone know if the console and dash argent is the same as the exterior light argent? is there a difference in quality of the paint if you use a rattle can as opposed to getting paint for the spray gun? I think the spray job would be better using a gun, but would the durability be better also?

Rattle cans are handy. There isn't a whole lot of pigment in that paint though. It's mostly vehicle/propellant. Spray cans have gotten a bit better over the past few years . I'll feel the difference when I lift the can from the shelf. It's still not the same thickness of layer applied in my opinion.
One must also consider what is being painted. Interior and exterior finishes have different characteristics relative to UV protection, washablility, etc...
What I know about that 67 tail panel... the cars aroedimanics is its enemy.
If there should ever be a significant oil, trans fluid, other, leak, small spots of the fluid will collect on the tail of the car. In fact ,if the paint doesn't adhere properly at taped edges, air turbulence can pick it apart.
The same quality of exterior finish can be used on the interior applications where those elements are not a concern.
I've been stuck with indecision for a few months now, Tape out the piece on the car to repaint it or remove all those little nuts and remove the piece again to repaint it ?
First I have to decide, Remove the trans to replace its front seal or remove the engine to access that same seal ? Hope some of this helps

If you or anyone else has a tip for getting paint to adhere on anodized aluminum I'm listening. I've been fooling with this 67 tail piece a few days now. It looks fine until I peel the tape.
Here's the strange part... When I decided to start over I grabbed a can of stripe - adhesive remover and shot it. When the paint blistered up I thought "Dang that looks good". There aint no way I know of to get that look in a finished job though.

Attachments

• 67 tail panel resize.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 108
Pull the tape off immediately after painting. This stops a lot of that chipping off at the edges.

That's how I did it before ( about 2 years ago). The paint slowly came off along the edges anyway. Wind turbulence, washing, etc.. it looked awful.
I know I can kill the anodize with oven cleaner. keeping it off the bright finish edges wont be easy.
EDIT; I have an idea, spray the oven cleaner in a container and brush it on. work it with fine steel wool.
Update to come.

I'm thinking you could seal the whole thing in gloss 2-part clear urethane. If the textured parts end up too shiny, you might be able to put a semi-gloss over just those areas. I have the same issues with the flat black chipping off of the anodized aluminum on the Dart GTS trunk trim. The front grille too to some extent. Very difficult to keep it looking good.

I'm thinking you could seal the whole thing in gloss 2-part clear urethane. If the textured parts end up too shiny, you might be able to put a semi-gloss over just those areas. I have the same issues with the flat black chipping off of the anodized aluminum on the Dart GTS trunk trim. The front grille too to some extent. Very difficult to keep it looking good.

Thanks but I considered that too. Then I thought , there would still be an edge only in a different location. Clear coat peeling off the bright could look even worse.
The factory got paint to stick on hubcaps and all or sorts of surfaces so there has to be a way.

Thanks but I considered that too. Then I thought , there would still be an edge only in a different location. Clear coat peeling off the bright could look even worse.
The factory got paint to stick on hubcaps and all or sorts of surfaces so there has to be a way.
I'd clear coat everything including the shiny aluminum. I can't imagine 2-part urethane peeling very easily.

Maybe an adhesion promoter would help? I've used it with great results on plastic interior pieces, but never tried it on metal....

-
Back