67 Barracuda convertible

-
This is lookin good! Have any time goal you are trying to hit? Hope to see ya' around this summer. Im tryin hard to get mine rollin for the summer!

That is coming along great John - When you polish the back trim can you go into detail on what you do and what polish to buy and where to get it - I need to make several trim pieces shine again and I cant seem to figure out the secret ..... your trim is looking awesome btw.
Bill

Great progress, John.
It`s a real inspiration to look at your pics.

This is lookin good! Have any time goal you are trying to hit? Hope to see ya' around this summer. Im tryin hard to get mine rollin for the summer!

Sure would be nice to have it ready this summer but with weather, work, family, friends, and time for anything in between it`s going to be tough. My Dart is close to being painted too and I know as soon as it`s back home I`m going to want to work on it. Not enough "me" to go `round. Early Fall would be a realistic goal now. Thanks for checking in, hope to see you around.- John

That is coming along great John - When you polish the back trim can you go into detail on what you do and what polish to buy and where to get it - I need to make several trim pieces shine again and I cant seem to figure out the secret ..... your trim is looking awesome btw.
Bill

Bill when I get back to the trim again I`ll do a more detailed explanation on the restorative process. A quick tip: Good rouge and a buffer wheel will go a long way.

Great progress, John.
It`s a real inspiration to look at your pics.

Swedefish, I think of you guys that already have sweet verts and that`s what inspires me!

I`ve finished the fitting of the first quarter panel and the major body work associated with it and have moved on to the second panel. The rust underneath the drivers side panel seems to be more concentrated towards the front unlike the passenger panel where most of the rust was around and behind the wheel. Surprisingly enough there is actually a good part of a trunk extension on this side. Lol! I`ve got the panel cut away and have started cutting out the rust beneath it. Wow, what a mess, and after this panel I have to do the rear valance. Here`s a couple photos of past and present work including the 8.75 that I replaced and re-installed.

IM000993 (Medium).JPG

IM000991 (Medium).JPG

IM000992 (Medium).JPG

IM000001 (Medium).JPG

IM000002 (Medium).JPG

I should have come over and looked at that from a different view. They say the block will clean up at 30 over so here comes the stroker. YES!

Damn man that quarter came out nice!

Thank you 4mulaSvaliant. I`m working on the other one and it`s kicking my butt. This new quarter panel is in terrible shape from the start and getting it to line up with everything (like it`s supposed to) is nearly impossible. After a ton of repair to the front of the wheel tub, inner rocker panel, and trunk extension I got the new panel fitted and started the welding process. Ran out of light ............and energy, but there`s always tomorrow. Heres more progress pics.

IM000005 (Medium).JPG

IM000010 (Medium).JPG

IM000011 (Medium).JPG

IM000015 (Medium).JPG

IM000017 (Medium).JPG

I had one heck of a time getting the drivers side panel to fit correctly. It turns out the distance from the apex of the inner wheelwell to the top body line is 5/8`s shorter than on the passenger side. When I would put the panel in the right place it would engulf the wheelwell. I ended up augmenting the wheel lip about a half an inch to get the panel to fit to the wheelwell and to the existing factory panel. This way the distance from the wheel lip to the top body line was equal on both sides- 12". The panel was also longer at the bottom front edge causing it to bulge out so I had to cut a notch in it and then weld it back together tighter. I spent several hours just getting the fit of the panel worked out, I hope it`s worth it when all is said and done. Here`s the panel repair in the front bottom corner. More pics to come later once the body putty has been worked. With the weekend approaching I may get a chance to tackle the rear valance.

IM000019 (Medium).JPG

IM000016 (Medium).JPG

Amazing how much can be fudged without noticing ayy. Good thinking, on solving the issue. Im sure its a little more comforting knowing you have the panel hung so it looks correct AND matches side to side! LOL I cant blieve Im saying it, but I wish I were beyond the mechanics and on to the body like you are. Fortunately I dont have and panel replacement concerning the 1/4s but I do have plenty to get done! Anyhow good luck. Its lookin' good.

I only got the first application of body putty on the drivers quarter panel and didn`t work it very much. I moved on to the rear valance. I`m getting it removed so I can work the new one into place and connect the quarters to it. Here`s a view of the rear of the car with the old valance removed. Of course there`s rust to be repaired underneath everything before I can install the new panel. The new valance is from Laysons, it`s the proper gauge and is shaped nicely but not quite as good a fit as I`d like. There`s going to be a little force applied to get some of these parts to meet up right. I hope to tackle it this weekend if possible.

IM000020 (Medium).JPG

IM000023 (Medium).JPG

IM000025 (Medium).JPG

IM000021 (Medium).JPG

Looks like a fun job, John.
Seriously, great progress and it`will feel great when you`ve
finished the rear rust repairs. Looking excellent so far.
BTW, don`t think that I`ve seen any pics of your Dart, please post a couple, or do I find them in another thread?

I made the rust repairs to the frame and got the rear valance installed. I`m always remiss when it comes to taking pictures "along the way" but I did get one of the valance installed. It was tough to get that rascal lined up but here`s a couple pics.

IM000026 (Medium).JPG

IM000028 (Medium).JPG

Looks like a fun job, John.
Seriously, great progress and it`will feel great when you`ve
finished the rear rust repairs. Looking excellent so far.
BTW, don`t think that I`ve seen any pics of your Dart, please post a couple, or do I find them in another thread?

Thanks Swede, I didn`t do a resto thread on the Dart but you can see a couple photos of it in my garage from the way I found it to how it looks now.

You are doing an excellent job! Convertible Barracuda mmmmmm this is going to be one sweet car!!!

Thank you vkarapanos, trying to get it ready for this summer!

Worked some more on the quarter panel and rear valance this weekend managing to get all of the welds puttied up and block sanded. Here`s a couple pics of the latest in the rust removal process. I`ll be block sanding until the cows come home, these quarters are just so full of waves. I hate rubbing on anything this much without some instant gratification!:-D

IM000032 (Medium).JPG

IM000033 (Medium).JPG

lookin good - you are makeing excellent progress it took me forever to get my qtrs on - have you done these before?

lookin good - you are makeing excellent progress it took me forever to get my qtrs on - have you done these before?

Thanks Bill ,your vert is coming along beautifully too. I`m thinking of changing the color on this one and silver is on the list of possible colors. As far as installing quarter panels, this latest install makes it about half a dozen times now. You learn things with each one which makes the next easier, but this last one took me back to the beginning. A lot of the cars here on the east coast (esp. northeast) are ate up with rust and replacing panels is a way of life. Lol!

I`ve been working the front bottom corner of the passenger door. I had to weld in a piece about 4 x 6 right in the corner and up to the lower body line. It`s gonna' be hell getting the line crisp again as well as the corresponding one on the fender but I`ve got the panels in and I`m going to start the process of working that body line. I sure wish the repair panels for these cars was of a higher quality. I`d certainly pay a small premium to avoid the work it takes to make these panels look presentable. Here`s the only pic I have of the REP on the door so far. REP = Rust Eradication Program. Lol!

IM000060 (Small).JPG

I sure wish the repair panels for these cars was of a higher quality.

I agree. I just bought a fender patch for mine, and I belive I could have made something as good as what I bought.......

I agree. I just bought a fender patch for mine, and I belive I could have made something as good as what I bought.......

With the fender patches, the body line at the rear of the patch (that matches up with the door line) is nearly non-existent. Working a good line in there before attempting to install the patch would be much easier than trying it once it`s on the car. That`s one of the mistakes I made.

Excellent fab work. I didn't even know rear valences were avail. Thanks for the pics on the mods, very helpful.

Grant

With the fender patches, the body line at the rear of the patch (that matches up with the door line) is nearly non-existent.

Yeah, I'm thinking about cutting mine up and rewelding it before trying to fit it........

-
Back