67 Barracuda Dash Dial lights

-
H

heytherecuda

HI, the dash lights on my cuda don't work. When you pull the switch the headlights come on, but when you turn it to turn the dash lights on nothing works. What should I look at. As you can probably tell, I know very little about electrics.

Many thanks Gary

Either all of the bulbs in the dash are shot at the same time, OR the 'dimmer' needs replacing.......like a rheostat or resistor coil of sorts in the headlight switch.....It's possible that corrosion has just coated the contact area, but they will usually make sporadic contact at some point and your lights will 'flicker'........

Difficult to say......Check the fuses that serve the dash.....if they're OK, I'd try a new switch.

Run a ground wire from the body behind the kick panel on the driver side up to the back of the instrument cluster and terminate on the screw that completes the circuit board ground.

This will GREATLY enhance the crappy ground system in place (stock) and the lights will shine brighter.

Good luck.

Mop

Check the dash lights fuse first....then most likely would be the variable dimmer switch built into the light switch. You can start by rotating the light switch knob back and forth a few dozen time to see if you can get any kind of flicker out of it. If not, you'll need to pull it out and see if it's cleanable/repairable or if you need to replace it. Check the interior light switch also before you pull it so you can clean that area at the same time. Some superfine sand paper and contact cleaner work good for that. They're pretty easy to find both used and new.

What they said.
I ran a ground wire to every bulb in the dash, to the back of the circuit board, changed the bulbs to Sylvania #2825, repainted the inner bezel white to freshen it up, and replaced the headlight switch and the dimmer, (among other things), and the dash lights are nice and bright and there is consistent light across the gauges.

Consistent light...full coverage...bright as the stars....like he said :-D

Mop

Attachments

• 100_2480.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 581
how did you get the blue lights? that looks awesome and I'd love to do it to my cuda

superbriteleds.com

I did the whole car including parking lights, brake and back up lights...the only thing not LED is the headlights.

You have to use a special relay for the blinkers since the rate of charge for the relay is different for incandescent vs LED.

They look so awesome in the car at night....soft blue glow in the whole car.

Mop

You can reach up and remove the headlight switch without having to remove the instrument cluster or anything. Get out your service manual or wiring schematic for the dash and put your ohm meter on whatever two terminals are needed to light the dash. If you have no continuity then you most likely have bad switch. I just went through this with a 67 Valiant. Luckily I had a spare switch and now that dash lights work perfectly.

Just make sure you turn the knob back and forth to see if you can get continuity on your tester.

-
Back