67 barracuda fastback front/rear window weatherstrip

-

a2000rt2

Reaction score
Can someone help me out if it is truly a one year weather-strip, or is just one year in that the 67 has the chrome insert into the rubber weather-strip itself? I just picked up the car and I'm not sure what I'm looking for for the weather stripping for the front and rear glass. pics of 67 vs 68 would be great

thanks

67 is one year only because it has the grove in it for the plastic chrome to snap into. If you are going to put the 68-69 stainless trim on it then you can go with the 68-69 weather strip and add the retainer clips to the car

Like topls said 67 is one year only BUT it may have been converted to 68-9 style so post pics to be 100%

None of the glass is in it so I don't know what I'm looking for, chrome or rubber wise

If it doesn't have a series of holes drilled in the area where the window gasket would fit, it hasn't been modified for the 68-69 gasket -- this was only about a 1 in 100 chance anyway. But now is the time to think about converting it.

If it doesn't have a series of holes drilled in the area where the window gasket would fit, it hasn't been modified for the 68-69 gasket -- this was only about a 1 in 100 chance anyway. But now is the time to think about converting it.
That's why I'm asking, the 67 gasket and inserts are expensive, found them for about 350 dollars. Do the 67s have other chrome besides the inserts?

If I convert to the 68+, do I have to use other chrome or will it look funny if I don't. I tried to find close up pics of both 67 and 68 and can't find any to see what the two look like side by side.

Yeah that. If you stick with 67 you will
Have a plastic chrome that will shrink and peel in no time. Plus you still have to buy the little stainless corners that tend not to stay in place. There are templates on here I believe that show you where you need to drill and mount the retention clips for the 68-9 trim

The original chrome look locking strip did shrink and peel with age. Mostly because it wasn't UV resistant and these daily drivers sat out in the sun so much. Is the replacement available today made of a better material ? I can't answer that. Will your car be garage kept 99% of the time ? You can answer that. These are the factors to consider when weighing the cost/benefit of stainless reveal moldings. I'll go ahead and add this from my experience... The 67 body wasn't finished to a stainless reveal template. Adding that trim will show flaws in body lines that would not show with the OEM 67 gasket since it didn't sit against those body lines.

Redfish makes a good point about the fit, but since you have the gasket out anyway this would be the time to massage it. I would guess today's lockstrip is just as bad as the original, in terms of longevity, and lots of people complain that it doesn't fit as well, either. The corner pieces can be found new, but there is also a shallow V piece in the center of the back that isn't reproduced, so that's another issue. The reason the 67 gaskets are so expensive is that they only seem to make them in small batches. Some years they don't seem to be in stock anywhere. The 68-69 gaskets have much better availability. As Toplscuda says, you need to buy a set of clips and screws for the conversion (repros available), on top of sourcing the stainless trim (not repopped), and drill holes in the right locations. Either way, it costs money and it's a fair amount of work. Done properly, the stainless looks better when new and lasts pretty much forever. If you have the glass out already, that's half the battle -- I would definitely go for it.

Here's what the 67 trim looks like 40 years later... The "chome" is peeling off the plastic, and the corners do not meet up due to shrinkage. The stainless corner trim pieces are both missing, fallen off as the plastic shrunk out from under them.

windshield67.jpg

And here's a 68 for comparison. There is a continuous polished metal trim all the way around.
windshield68.jpg

thanks for the pics, the way I was understanding the 67 was that it was just like a lock ring inserted into the groove not an actual chrome/chrome looking piece). from pics on the internet I couldn't really tell the difference and thought they looked the same, which they do just different material.

One really doesn't need to look far or specific to gain knowledge on rubber window gaskets. Never were more than 2 types used by any mfgr. From Peterbuilt tractor cabs to MG Midgit.
Most OEM 68-69 a-body gaskets are the 1 piece self locking. I've seen a few 2 piece over the years. Those have separate black rubber lock insert. Both of those designed to fit underneath stainless reveal moldings. All 67 a-body gaskets are 2 piece in design. The big difference is the lock insert piece also mimics the shinny reveal trim. The component name, "locking insert" doesn't ring the bell in so many minds. Owners shouldn't rip it out of the gasket and toss it no matter how degraded and ugly it becomes. To do that causes water leaks into the cabin.

I wouldn't say they look the same... The 67 leaves exposed rubber on both sides of the "lockstrip", and the lockstrip itself is never as shiny as chrome, even when it's new. The 68-69 stainless extends all the way to the paint side of the gasket, and only exposes a narrow strip of rubber on the glass side. Being stainless, it matches all the trim around the side windows and gutters. It really looks 200% better. As far as manufacturers, I think there is only one company making the 67 gaskets -- they supply the various Mopar vendors. It's possible that there is more than one brand of the more popular 68-69 gasket available, but I don't know how you would figure that out. I've never heard any particular complaints about quality --- I would assume one is as good as another.

Here's a couple of pics where 68 gasket and stainless reveal were placed on 67 notchback. Left side or 2 of the 4 spots.
I don't have comparison pics of these parts on the 68. Maybe 68 or 69 owners can provide pics for comparison. Regardless, these flaws aren't nearly so evident with a 67 gasket.

67 body work sail panel nothchback.jpg

67 body work windshield post.jpg

Huh, that's pretty mild. And if you are taking the gasket out to paint the car, it's simple to fix that sort of thing. Especially since you will be drilling the holes for the clips and test fitting the stainless trim before spraying the new paint. I mean, you're not going to paint the car first, then drill 2 dozen holes.

Not every window service includes a paint job. Without the trim of some sort of "check stick" in hand,,,,
The pics were meant to inform those 67 owners who don't know these flaws exist.

-
Back