67 Barracuda Fuel gauge problems

-

carpart67

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Havent been on here for a while. Hoping someone may be able to give me some tips. I've got a 67 Barracuda, all gauges except for the fuel gauge work. Is there a way to test the gauge without damaging it? Once I know if the gauge itself is functional I can update this post and work my way from there. Any help would be much appreciated.

Yes ground out the wire to the sender unit at the tank end , if the gauge goes to full then you have a sender fault , more probably the float has a hole in it !! mine did !!!! a wine cork will get you out of trouble or a new sender unit

Mine onlt goes from just before 3/4 and just above 1/4...I assume that the float is getting waterlogged but I have a new fuel guage to test this out...

Ian.

I just replaced the sending unit on my 67 and it fixed the gauge. It's a quick fix only took about 30 mins.

You dont really even need to jack the car up to test the gauge. Locate the sender wire inside the trunk. Its almost directly above the differential. Shove a shirt pin through the wire casing and jumper that pin to chassis ground. The trunk lid hasp is a good unpainted ground point. Now turn the switch on. If the gauge needle goes to maximum position, turn the switch off and remove the jumper. The problem is under the car. If the needle doesn't respond properly, send the gauge to me and I'll fix it.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think that I can get at the connector to the sending unit easily. I'll give this a try. Would it be a good idea to check for continuity between both ends of the wire first, just to make sure that their is no break anywhere? RedFish, if the gauge is no good I'll contact you. Thanks

The odds that this wire is broken anywhere besides inside the trunk or under the car are very slim. Better to check everything than assume anything I guess. Good luck

-
Back