67 Barracuda grille and bezels question

-

Twoburghers

Reaction score
I need to replace the headlamps and was wondering if I needed to remove the grille along with the bezels to do that and properly adjust them. Any help from anyone would be much appreciated (especially with photos), but I'll accept any advice as I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to taking these old girls apart. I attempted it initially, but backed out. Thank you in advance.

I believe the only thing you will need is a Phillips screwdriver. remove the bezel, and set it aside. look for a thin SS ring around the outside of the head light. Loosen the screws.
holding the ring. IIRC you do not have to remove the screws because after they are backed off 1/8" or so, the ring can be rotated because the holes are slotted. Take the ring off and the headlight will fall out into your hand. Unplug the wire connector to completely remove the lamp. Of course you then just reverse the procedure.
The 2 headlight adjusting screws are obvious when you get in there. I'm pretty sure the lights can be adjusted w/o removing the bezel.

What he said.

And a further word of warning -- you don't want to try to remove the grills unless you have a very good reason. The studs are very delicate and the nuts are usually frozen in place. So if you wanted to remove them for say polishing and repainting, you would also want to assume you would be replacing all or most of the studs. Just FYI.

How many posts does it take to change a headlight ? Who knows ? The headlight door should come off after removing the screws you can see. Left has a screw at 7 o'clock and 11 o'clock ( 1 and 5 for the right ) and kind of deep in there. Those screws go into 'U' nuts placed on the grille. I have had one of those nuts drop out of place just to aggravate me. Another time, one of the screws in the retainer ring had seized to the ring. Power screw driver twisted the little limb snapping it right off the ring. It was only spot welded. Squirt some wd-40 on those 3 before you start.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my thread. I have gotten the screws out of the bezels, but neither will budge. It appears that on the right side bezel there is a pop rivet on the outside where it comes to a point. I guess I need to drill it out. The left side appears to have a hole drilled in the same place, not sure if there is something broken off. All around grille structure there is thin black tape posing as a painted stripe.

Again, thank you for the suggestions and advice. It is much appreciated.

OK so we're trying to change a headlight or remove both entire grille assemblies. Clarity and pics will help. The main grille has little ends that go into the headlight door about a half inch to help align the 2 parts. It's right there where the black line is. Pulling out and away at farest outer end should get it apart.
If you want to remove the entire grilles for resto-repairs, its a heck of a lot easier to remove the entire header panel. You would need to remove the front tag bracket if so equipped and the front bumper has to come off. 4 bolts into frame rail are easy enough but... those bolts in the little stabilizers on each end can be a problem. Still, having done it both ways, entire header panel R&R is the better route.

-
Back