67 Barracuda project

-

Brandt Fonda

Reaction score
Started off thinking about putting fancy 4 link systems like qa1 or street lynx in the rear and maybe Gerst suspension up front. But now I think I would like to just keep the stock suspension just with upgraded items from Hotchkis or something. I'm wanting a street strip car prbly focusing on strip a little more. I can weld but I don't have a shop to work in so ease of installation would be nice.

Car is a "built" 360 approximately 400 hp, 3 speed manual, 8 3/4 rear end with the 489 center section.

Upgrades so far: TTI ceramic coated thermal lined headers, TTI X pipe, 3" exhaust w/ super 44 flowmasters, MSD digital 6al, MSD wires, MSD Blaster 2 coil, Holley sniper EFI throttle body, Holley dual sync distributer, Holley sniper efi gas tank, Moroso electric water pump, Afco alluminum radiator w/ electric fan, stock rebuild on front suspension (pitman, idler, tie rod ends, CA bushings), Foose Legend wheels, removed front bumper

The next area I want to focus on is transmission, rear end, and suspension. Thinking on going with the tremec tko 5 speeed, and rebuilding my rear end with 4:10 gears with eaton detroit lockers. The car has subframe connectors. Suggestions on leaf springs, (inboard mounts?), sliders? panhard bar, sway bar ladderbars? Narrow the axle? Looking to get at least 275's under rear (would love 305's) and for car to hook up straight line but not be a total pig in the corners.

Some pics of car when I bought it:

20161015_123102.jpg

20161015_123113.jpg

20161015_123159.jpg

20161015_123207.jpg

20161111_160231.jpg

20161111_160251.jpg

The stock suspension arrangement is well engineered -- it just needs tuning and possibly reinforcement. See how it works for you before throwing money at fancy parts. Looks like a fun project.

So, pulled the engine and tore it down. 308 heads w/ 2.02 valves which I think I might just reuse and save some money. Block looks ok will bore 40 over. Had some wear on #4 piston and engine overall was very dirty. Planning on buying some good forged pistons and rebuilding for smallish nitrous shot (150). Got a new cam, and roller rockers to go in along with lifters and some valve springs. Cleaned up the engine bay and was planning on blacking it out but the pattern of old paint and history caught my eye and I decided just to clear over it for now.

cuda .jpg

cuda crank.jpg

cuda piston.jpg

cuda heads.jpg

cuda rockers.jpg

cuda fender 2.jpg

cud fender.jpg

-
Back