67 Barracuda Reverse Lights

-

DallasMan2000

Reaction score
My reverse lights on a 67 Barracuda are not working. I checked the obvious with a test light and there is no power going back there while in reverse.

Does anybody know which fuse is for the reverse lights on a 67 Barracuda? Picture of my fuse box is below. I think the empty one is for the A/C that no longer exists. This is a 3 speed automatic on the floor. I’m kinda hoping I don’t have to pull the floor console apart but it does need some work. The black plastic slider piece that covers the gear slider area is gone and the light is not working.

If the fuse is good I am guessing it is the reverse switch inside the console. Thoughts?

IMG_6613.jpeg

I would guess it's the switch in the console if your bulbs and fuses are good.
If I remember right the bulb socket grounds directly to the body, easy to check if there's corrosion.

Yep, I would imagine switch. Or it may be in the shifter linkages(same spot near switch). I had issues with our 67, I set my camera up outside aimed at the b/u lights and recorded video to see if they worked. Helped when working alone.

when a bulb does not come on, it is one of 4 things:
1. The bulb is bad. Test the bulb and/or replace it with a known good one.
2. The switch is bad. Test to see if there is power going into the switch. If there is, then a good switch will allow power to flow through it when placed into reverse. If there is power going into the switch but nothing coming out the other side when in reverse, then the switch is either bad or it needs some adjusting (if that is possible).
3.If there is power flowing through the switch when in reverse, then there is either a bad wire, a bad socket or a bad ground.
4. If there is no power going to the switch, then I'd look for a bad fuse or a bad wire/connection going to the switch.

First I want to scream UGH!………. Next I want to thank everyone for the comments so far.

I pulled off the console and there is no power coming in to the reverse switch or to the center console light bulb (with lights on). Double checked the test light ground by testing a fuse.

This could be a learning experience for me with some wiring diagram coaching.

Here are some pics of the shifter and some wiring diagrams from 67Barracuda Service Bulletin.

Any ideas about where to go from here?

Thanks again in advance for helping!

IMG_6643.jpeg

IMG_6644.jpeg

IMG_6645.jpeg

IMG_6646.jpeg

IMG_6647.jpeg

IMG_6648.jpeg

it's hard to see but it looks like it is fed from the fuse furthest to the right in the fuse block. Pull that fuse out and check it with a multimeter on the ohms scale. OL no good. the simplest way is to follow the power wire you checked at the console switch back to it's original source. if there is a switch between it and the fuse box check it. every component that is wired in series with that wire between the wire at the switch and the fuse box could be the culprit or an open circuit. Patience grasshopper. follow it back step by step to the source.

Do anyone know if the light inside the center console is always on with the ignition on or does it only turn on when the headlights are on?

I am referring to the light inside the console that lights up the PRN321.
None of the lights on the car have anything to do with the backup lights, not one part mixes with the lighting system on the car.
The backup lights are part of the WIPER circuit. Odd as that sounds.

Do yourself a favor and print out the wiring diagrams and trace the circuit, just the circuit needed. I do this anytime I'm troubleshooting which allows me to follow the current through the circuit.

(The blue highlighted wire is the white on the car)
Back-up.jpg

Alan

^^^Exactly^^^

On the version in the '67 Barracuda TSB the back up wiring is drawn with both the automatic and the manual transmission options. Whichever is not on the car has to be erased. Since this car has a console automatic, the B/U feed wire does not go to cavity H. Likewise there is no return to the bulkhead conector because the switch inside. Illustration

Right connector should be the wiper motor, and the empty positons are for A/C and backup lamp switch if the car had manual transmission.

For 67 the instrument lamp connection is near the flasher (ashtray) and the B/U connector is near the bulkhead multiconnector.
Photos New wiring for our ‘67 B’cuda

Instrument lamp circuit.
1719404846320.png

I used to work the wiper switch back and forth to get my reverse lights to work, when the wipers came on the reverse lights would work.

-
Back