67 Barracuda Trans question

-

rpmcmahan

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a 67 b-cuda with a 904 trans. and I'd like to swap it for a 727 from a 73 Fury. The only problem i see is that the tail shaft on the 727 is longer. Will I have to find another driveshaft or could i switch the tail-shafts. Thanks for any help. Richard

Why do you want to switch? Not only is the 904 a very good trans, but you will have to change the driveshaft, and possibly hammer the pinch weld in the tunnel for the 727 bellhousing to fit. Not to mention that you can get the later style 4 planetary gear cluster from an A-999 trans with the lower 1st gearset for the 904 to up your out of the hole response. Oh, did I mention the 5 clutch drum? A lot of guys are racing the 904, so unless you are considering something more than a race engine, the 904 should be all you need. JMO, but by the time you have a driveshaft made for the 727 and get it in, you would be miles down the road with the 904. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Geof

You'll need a custom made torque converter also to mate with the 273 crank.

I'm swapping because the 904 is shot and the 727 i already had on hand. Sounds like i should find another 904 though.Thanks for the info. Richard

I'm swapping because the 904 is shot and the 727 i already had on hand. Sounds like i should find another 904 though.Thanks for the info. Richard

How about just rebuilding that 904 you already have? Unless you live near me and can come get one of the ones I have laying around, it would probably be faster and cheaper to drop yours and take it for a rebuild. By the time you buy a good rebuildable core or one that's already done, you could have yours back in and tooling down the happy highways of Moparland. Consider the upgrades I mentioned in my other post, they really wake up the old 904. I have found that most trans shops around my area have the lower gearset and input shaft from the 999's on hand, although the 5 disc drum is a little harder to come by. Heck, your trans may already have that inside. You may also consider the higher pressure actuating lever while you are in there. The stock ratio is something like 2.8, the upgrade is about 3.8 and the full out bang shift is the 5.0, although the 5.0 is known to wear out the bands a little quicker. Drop a kevlar band in there if you're going with the 5.0. Good luck with your project, Geof

Thanks once again for the info, I very much appreciate it. Richard

Welcome Richard, As you can see we have some of the best of the best tec's here and some great folks, Jump on in and enjoy.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad I found this place, it's like an oasis of my kind of blood! After all of the advice about keeping with the 904...well I just had to try the 727. All went well until it came time for the drive shaft. First I had to locate the right size yoke and then I had to cut 5" out of the shaft. I thought it went well for my first drive shaft surgery until I got up to about 40 MPH. The car shook so badly I'm sure some bondo and rust fell out. I'm going to the dentist to have some fillings replaced right after another drive shaft surgery! Mopar-To Ya ,Richard

Take the drive shaft to a shop to get it done right. All you can do is gues with out the right tools.

-
Back