67 Barracuda Wheel Adjustment

-

Tom67

Reaction score
I have a 67 Barracuda and want to know if there just the front tires forward and aft. My left wheel is a little more than a half inch forward than the right wheel. It hits the fender when turning to the right. Thanks.

Likely not,a stop is what is generally used to prevent rubbing. I dont recall if there were stops on lower control arm or not.
Factory size tires?

Last edited:
Likely not,a stop is what is generally used to prevent rubbing. I dont recall if there were stops on lower control arm or not.
No it’s rubbing on the fender in front of the tire. It gets it and grabs it and tries to turn it under

Steering stops are on the lower ball joints but that’s not what he’s taking about.

A couple of things control how far the wheels sit fore/aft on the car. Strut rods are the primary control, but if you have stock strut rods they’re not adjustable. Check your bushings though because if the strut rod bushings are shot the LCA can shift forward. The UCA’s can change it some too with their caster adjustment, so you may want to take a look at the UCA’s as well and make sure nothing is going on there. And if the LCA bushings are shot the LCA may be shifting around too, same with the LCA pin mounts in the K but those would probably be causing other issues too.

And the standard, check all the bushings and components for wear, damage, cracks etc. Could be a body fit issue too, body tolerances on these cars are not known for being super consistent.

How tall are the tires?

Steering stops are on the lower ball joints but that’s not what he’s taking about.

A couple of things control how far the wheels sit fore/aft on the car. Strut rods are the primary control, but if you have stock strut rods they’re not adjustable. Check your bushings though because if the strut rod bushings are shot the LCA can shift forward. The UCA’s can change it some too with their caster adjustment, so you may want to take a look at the UCA’s as well and make sure nothing is going on there. And if the LCA bushings are shot the LCA may be shifting around too, same with the LCA pin mounts in the K but those would probably be causing other issues too.

And the standard, check all the bushings and components for wear, damage, cracks etc. Could be a body fit issue too, body tolerances on these cars are not known for being super consistent.

How tall are the tires?
15X7 rims with 215/60 tires

15X7 rims with 215/60 tires

Huh. Well those are only 25.2” tall, so, they should clear fine. When I was running 225/60/15’s on 15x7’s I had to adjust the lower fender to bumper brace a little to keep mine from catching, but I didn’t cut anything.

On that note, take a look at that lower fender to bumper brace, it has a slot on one end so it is adjustable.

That’s a pretty short tire to have issues with though, so I would definitely be looking for something out of whack with the suspension, body, or even frame depending on how much you know about the history of the car. Any recent alignments? Front suspension rebuilt?

Huh. Well those are only 25.2” tall, so, they should clear fine. When I was running 225/60/15’s on 15x7’s I had to adjust the lower fender to bumper brace a little to keep mine from catching, but I didn’t cut anything.

On that note, take a look at that lower fender to bumper brace, it has a slot on one end so it is adjustable.

That’s a pretty short tire to have issues with though, so I would definitely be looking for something out of whack with the suspension, body, or even frame depending on how much you know about the history of the car. Any recent alignments? Front suspension rebuilt?
Not too much history, I’ve only had the car for about a month and a half.

Put it on the alignment rack, ask for a 4 wheel measurement, or a thrust-line alignment check.
It may be that everything is just fine but that the one fender is just too far back. or
it may be that your K is improperly installed, or
your caster is messed up, or
who knows. But the alignment machine will get you started on a course of action.

i would do this, and i did this on my car recently when i installed hotchkis strut rods, get under the car with a plumb bob/string. drop marks on the ground from the rear of each torsion bar socket. run a long straight edge across those marks and make a line.
from that line, measure to the marks on the ground that you make from dropping the plumb from the both front lower ball joint bolts in your spindle. your measurements should be roughly the same.

you also want to look real closely at your k-member where your strut rod bushings are, look for any deformation. mine was pulled in on the right side.
the strut rods locate your lower ball joint, which locates your wheels...

-
Back