67 Barracuda with a 273

-
depends on what you want to go to, i only have a low compression 273 and i love it, they're a good stromg motor that's still quite ecconomical,

steel crank, adjustable rockers, solid lifters and if you're lucky 10.5 to one pistons say a lot

Build the car the way you wanna build it. Don't be one of those guys that try to keep it original. It will never again be original. Even if you spend years tracking down N.O.S. parts, you will probably spend more than the car will ever bring selling. I say buil it the wayt you want and make it a standout, my self I don't care to see restored cars, I love originals but nowdays they are over restored and people get afraid to drive them.

I have a 67 that had the 273. I fought tooth and nail to get the performance out of the lil 273 but to no avail. Upped the compression, .060 over, 3 different cams, etc... So I decided to ditch the 273 for a .030 over 360, 10.7 compression, etc... and it was the best move I ever made. The 360 has torque due to the longer stroke something the 273 will never have.

Now if you are just going to drive it and kick it around a little every so often then the 273 would be a good choice to stay with.

Segura nailed it, do what YOU want. My 66 Cuda is getting a 440 but "just in case" I change my mind years down the road Im storing the original motor, trans, rear end, radiator, etc etc. Is the car all matching numbers and almost all original now?

My bone stock 67 Cuda with the 273 2BBL gets 22 MPG on an average short trip..never did MPG on the Interstate.....I bet I could squeeze more though....Something to think about. 8)

I replaced my 67 cuda, 273 with a 340 and I am glad I did. It did not cost me any more money to rebuild a 340 than it would have cost to rebuild the 273.

I faced the same situation as you with my 273 67. Rebuilt the engine and drove it a while. Came to realize the 273 would never make me happy performance wise. I have a 340 ready to drop in it now. But the 273 ran well for just crusing around. Do what makes you happy.

I replaced my 67 cuda, 273 with a 340 and I am glad I did. It did not cost me any more money to rebuild a 340 than it would have cost to rebuild the 273.

This is very true. I don't know what the previous owner paid to have the 273 rebuilt but I bet it cost more than a 340,360. He had .060 pistons installed and they couldn't have been cheap.

I faced the same situation as you with my 273 67. Rebuilt the engine and drove it a while. Came to realize the 273 would never make me happy performance wise. I have a 340 ready to drop in it now. But the 273 ran well for just crusing around. Do what makes you happy.

I went through the same thing LOL! "Came to realize.."

I gave the motor away to my best friend who is going to put it in a Jeep CJ.

Put the 440 in it with a 4 speed and a Dana!
A set of fat and skinny Cragar S/S wheels with a big Hemi scoop and a black hood!
Well, thats what my next 69 Dart will look like anyway! :D

George

Nice! Go big or go home right? 8) Get some pics up of the swap as you go. Would love to see it unfold.

-
Back