'67 BUCKET SEAT HEADREST FABRICATION.

-

Edfury426

Pentastar Powered!
Reaction score
Having been unable to find '67 headrests for my '67 bucket seats, I have decided instead to convert a set of new PG Classics '68 bucket seat headrests to fit my '67 seats. Maybe it's been done before, but I don't see any mention of it, so here's what I am doing.

I have ordered the '68 headrests which should arrive next week. Upon their arrival, I am cutting off the chrome rods which extend into the seat. I will be making a jig in which they will be mounted for welding into a piece of flat bar (dimensions to be determined by base of headrest), at 7-1/2" apart, thereby retaining proper angles during welding.

Flat bar will be drilled and countersink at 8-1/2" apart before welding, for stainless 5/16 countersunk bolts, that will be going into the headrest, to avoid damage to the headrests by the heat from welding with my MIG. These bolts will mount into the stubs of the headrests which will be ground flush and tapped. The chrome rods will be welded on at 7-1/2" apart.

This should result in nice new '68 headrests which will mount right up and look good on my '67 seats. I know they won't really be right. Only '67 headrests would be, but I'm not finding anything other than insane deals which themselves are few and far between, and I am reluctant to pursue.

Perhaps one day I will find a deal that seems reasonable to me (LOL!) or someone will start reproducing them. The guy at PG Classics says there is no one working on it, and he does not believe anyone will.

The reason I mention all of this before just doing it is this, I have the PG Classics installation kit for my '67 seats but it came with no instructions and I'm finding none on thier site. I did find some reasonable threads on '68 installation, but none on '67 and the parts are different.

I can see the covers and maybe foam have to come off.
There is a metal spring clip for locking into the chrome rod detent grooves which appears to be screwed into the seat frame below the main hole using small screws.
The big black plastic chunk appears to go on top, but there is one hole on each which could go to the left or right, depending on how it's installed.

The chrome bezel goes on the top of the vinyl, but what about the smaller black plastic parts with the large holes? They must go either above or below the larger plastic, but which way? which way is up and to what direction are the tabs rotated?

Does anyone have a picture, or could someone make a sketch?

I read a trick upon re-installing the vinyl covers is to put them in a pillowcase for protection and run them in the clothes dryer long enough to make them warm and pliable. Just not too long or? I think I'll give that a try!

If anyone has further helpful tips or experience to share, please do. My Barracuda and I will be grateful!

20240601_212806.jpg

Before you go through all that trouble, have you considered 66-67 Plymouth B body or C body headrests?

They are almost identical to Barracuda headrests and a whole lot closer than 68"s

67 C-Body

1717351971933.png

1967 Plymouth Satellite/GTX

1717352053334.png

Here's a set from a 67 barracuda for comparison,

1717352379315.png

Before you go through all that trouble, have you considered 66-67 Plymouth B body or C body headrests?

They are almost identical to Barracuda headrests and a whole lot closer than 68"s

67 C-Body

View attachment 1716257348

1967 Plymouth Satellite/GTX

View attachment 1716257352

Here's a set from a 67 barracuda for comparison,

View attachment 1716257354
Thanks Super-Cuda,
One huge problem I've had is just not knowing what fits what. I did see a couple of '67 C-body headrests on ebay, but they were very expensive and worn out. I passed on them since I didn't want to "spend good money after bad" as they say. I did try to get B-body headrests, as I thought that they were the same as A-body. No luck there either.

Once the solution that I mentioned occurred to me, I just decided to do it. I also have a road trip coming up very soon and a wife who doesn't want to get whiplash! no more time for pussy-footing around. I would rather face the problem head-on and 'git-'er done!

Right now, I just need to figure out how those parts in the hardware kit go in, doh!

I have no experience with the bucket seats.
With the bench seats, it seams there was mounting in the upper metal and in second support maybe 5 - 6 inches below.
Here's a '70 split bench seat back.
1717356860862.png

1717356876623.png

67 Bench headrests - which are different than the buckets - at least in shape.
1717356938211.png

I have no experience with the bucket seats.
With the bench seats, it seams there was mounting in the upper metal and in second support maybe 5 - 6 inches below.
Here's a '70 split bench seat back.
View attachment 1716257381
67 Bench headrests - which are different than the buckets - at least in shape.
View attachment 1716257384
The lower picture of the '67 bench headrests has two brown oval pieces which may go directly under the chrome bezels as guides? If so, maybe that's what my smaller black pieces do also?

I'm at work now, but will have alook when I get home later. Thanks Mattax!

The lower picture of the '67 bench headrests has two brown oval pieces which may go directly under the chrome bezels as guides? If so, maybe that's what my smaller black pieces do also?

I'm at work now, but will have alook when I get home later. Thanks Mattax!
Or maybe they go with the metal clip and two screws, mounted from below?

That was it! Now, to actually do the work, ha ha! It will be slow, as there just aren't enough hours in the day. I will post as progress occurs.

20240602_161049(0).jpg

That was it! Now, to actually do the work, ha ha! It will be slow, as there just aren't enough hours in the day. I will post as progress occurs.

View attachment 1716257472
Sorry for all the posts, but there is yet one further mystery... what is that third small hole in the large black plastic part, and how is it oriented on the seat?

Sorry. IIRC that photo came from Clair Davis before he sold them. He may be a member here but if so I don't know his username

I still don't know how that odd third hole on the large black plastic part is oriented when installed. Does anyone know? I am about to install the seat kit this weekend and that would be good to know, but hey, it's a 50 - 50 chance right?

Meanwhile, I did hack off the long rods from my brand new '68 PG headrests, made the 3/16" X 1" X 10" flat bar base, shaped it to fit the base of the headrests, and drilled it with two 1/2" holes at 8-1/2" apart for the '68 rod stubs and two 1/2" holes at 7-1/2" apart for the '67 bucket seat rod location.

I then drilled the same hole pattern into two 1" X 1" X (about) 10" pieces of angle iron, placed them onto the head rest rods while still attached in thier original 8 - 1/2" location on the head rest, and welded them together with a couple more angle iron pieces. This made a jig for retaining the rod orientation to the headrests.

Next, I cut the rods off of the headrests using a die grinder with cut-off wheel, leaving about a 3/16" stub on each one, which I hoped to drill and tap to 5/16" - 18 NC.

It was after mounting the headrests on my drill press and trying to drill the pilot holes (lest you think I am "too full of myself") and finding that the bit just kept bending and deflecting that the rods are made of stainless steel, doh!!! I don't know how I missed that, but I did. I can be dumb sh*t! I continued, as I was able, but only managed to completely butcher the hole. This left only one option as I saw it...weld!

I was very tempted to do the welding myself, but decided to hand it off to an "expert" with a TIG machine, as opposed to my MIG in order to try and keep the temp below the vinyl head rest melting point. Not an easy task, but I found a guy who was willing to try. He plug welded the rods to the back of the flat bar using the jig, and then attached the head rest using only the most minimal tacks with the TIG as his assistant immediately threw water on after each tack.

Attached are pics of the process so far. Not perfect, presently kind of ugly, but I think t will turn out fairly decent?

20240623_191810.jpg

20240626_113417.jpg

20240627_150337.jpg

20240624_135157.jpg

Thanks for the post 65Val, your pics really helped me out! Nice interior too (with correct for '67 headreststs).

What I have done is only because I've had so much trouble finding a pair of '67 headrests, so is only a compromise at best. Now I get to hear every "car show genius" that walks up, how mine are wrong. Oh well, at least they're interesting, lol!

They will also be a good safety upgrade for upcoming 4th of July 3,000 mile trip, and I think they do look nice (not counting the year factor) too.

Now that I'm done, I can share a few final pics. My seats had just been re-apolstered with Legendary covers, in the original Pearl White and the apolsterer wrapped the top of my seats in foam. It was fine, but confused me when I was trying to understand how and where the spring clips go.

It wasn't until I looked again at your pics that I poked the foam with my finger and realized the clips go inside or behind the foam! I hacked the foam surgery, but I think it is fine again beneath the vinyl covers. Also, on top of the seats I had to hack through the foam with my razor blade to get the large black plastic pieces on.

Once the foam was removed, it revealed the big hole in the middle, the two mounting screw holes, and a smaller hole for that odd third screw hole in the black part that I've mentioned. That definately oriented the part. I couldn't believe my PG kit did not come with those screws. I picked some new ones up at my local Ace Hardware (#4 X 3/4") and a couple of extra spring clip screws (#4 X 3/8") just in case...

The hog ring experience was new to me, but not bad. I had bought a bent hog ring plier with rings which worked well. Also, I found that it made things much easier to use a small 8" bolt cutters (HF $6.00) to cut the old hog rings out.

I think they turned out reasonably well. It was $400.00 for the '68 PG headrests, and I paid $200.00 for "expert" TIG welding to get the best chance of not melting the vinyl.

My only regret in the process is that I made the flat bar just a little too long, and left the nds square. If I did it again I would take about 1/2" off each side and make the ends round.

Overall, I'm happy for now! I'll continue to keep an eye out for a realistically priced deal on some old used '67s. Meanwhile, at least now I've got something not too bad looking on top of my seats! :)

20240701_034814.jpg

20240701_034743.jpg

20240701_034647.jpg

20240701_034618.jpg

20240630_154233.jpg

20240630_143209.jpg

20240630_143254.jpg

20240630_163617.jpg

Oh, one question. I also was confused about the direction the spring clip faces concerning the notches cut into the stainless steel rods by the factory.

The installation in my pics is correct, it's the only way they can go, and is seen in 65Vals pics as well. But the notches in my '68 headrests (and other newer ones I've seen ) face forward. Do the '67s have notches on the back side to match the spring clip, or are they just smooth rods the entire length? I am assuming the latter, but on the '68 and newer the notches facing forward must be for spring clip detents aren't they?

Oh, one question. I also was confused about the direction the spring clip faces concerning the notches cut into the stainless steel rods by the factory.

The installation in my pics is correct, it's the only way they can go, and is seen in 65Vals pics as well. But the notches in my '68 headrests (and other newer ones I've seen ) face forward. Do the '67s have notches on the back side to match the spring clip, or are they just smooth rods the entire length? I am assuming the latter, but on the '68 and newer the notches facing forward must be for spring clip detents aren't they?
Notchs are on the back of the posts…

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh, that's interesting. It looks like there are about 5 notches, and about an inch apart? I measured up from the bottom of the rods on mine, and figured one notch at 2-3/4" up would be just right for my head. Maybe make a couple of more right around there?

Could be pretty sketchy trying to duplicate the notches with my die grinder, at least to make the look right. maybe keep them below the top of seat?

The rods look like the same curve as the '68. I had been concerned about that, but figured the seats are the same, so it should work?

As it is, the spring clips hold the headrests up pretty good, so far...

I still don't know how that odd third hole on the large black plastic part is oriented when installed. Does anyone know? I am about to install the seat kit this weekend and that would be good to know, but hey, it's a 50 - 50 chance right?

Meanwhile, I did hack off the long rods from my brand new '68 PG headrests, made the 3/16" X 1" X 10" flat bar base, shaped it to fit the base of the headrests, and drilled it with two 1/2" holes at 8-1/2" apart for the '68 rod stubs and two 1/2" holes at 7-1/2" apart for the '67 bucket seat rod location.

I then drilled the same hole pattern into two 1" X 1" X (about) 10" pieces of angle iron, placed them onto the head rest rods while still attached in thier original 8 - 1/2" location on the head rest, and welded them together with a couple more angle iron pieces. This made a jig for retaining the rod orientation to the headrests.

Next, I cut the rods off of the headrests using a die grinder with cut-off wheel, leaving about a 3/16" stub on each one, which I hoped to drill and tap to 5/16" - 18 NC.

It was after mounting the headrests on my drill press and trying to drill the pilot holes (lest you think I am "too full of myself") and finding that the bit just kept bending and deflecting that the rods are made of stainless steel, doh!!! I don't know how I missed that, but I did. I can be dumb sh*t! I continued, as I was able, but only managed to completely butcher the hole. This left only one option as I saw it...weld!

I was very tempted to do the welding myself, but decided to hand it off to an "expert" with a TIG machine, as opposed to my MIG in order to try and keep the temp below the vinyl head rest melting point. Not an easy task, but I found a guy who was willing to try. He plug welded the rods to the back of the flat bar using the jig, and then attached the head rest using only the most minimal tacks with the TIG as his assistant immediately threw water on after each tack.

Attached are pics of the process so far. Not perfect, presently kind of ugly, but I think t will turn out fairly decent?

View attachment 1716268832

View attachment 1716268833

View attachment 1716268834

View attachment 1716268835
The “3rd hole holds the black piece to the frame… the other 2 hold the screws from the chrome, outside top pieces….

IMG_1967.jpeg

-
Back