67 cuda coupe seat belt questions

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I have a 67 cuda notchback coupe. It came with no interior. I purchased a set of 67 buckets and a rear bench for it. My seatbelt question is simple. Did this car have 2 or 3 seatbelts for the rear passengers.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

4 passengers was standard for 2 doors. Center passenger belts could be ordered or dealer installed at both front and rear benches.

Did 67's even come with seat belts standard? My son's couple didn't have any.
Rod

Mine has 2 front and 2 rear:
P2230335.jpg

lap belts required by law.

Seat belts were not required by law until January 1, 1968, that is why I asked if 67's had them standard. By the way, the law required seat belts for all seated positions.

rod

do you have idea where I can get complete set 67 cuda fastback with red bucket seats?also what years will fit THANKS

do you have idea where I can get complete set 67 cuda fastback with red bucket seats?also what years will fit THANKS

There are a few reasons to dislike OEM 67 belts as shown above. Huge belly burning chromed buckles. Spring loaded hair roller like thingy mounted on the front belts serve as retractors. 68 and later have vinyl cover glued onto the same metal buckles so only a little better. Spring loaded retractor housed inside the floor mounted plastic appeared in 68 also.
If I currently had nothing, aftermarket 3 point belts would be my choice. Might be a little more effort to install but at least you'll avoid the large metal parts banging on the doors, etc...
One important point I failed to mention... 67 buckets do not have latches on the seat backs. This means the seat back would go forward with you in event of collision.
Increases the force against a shoulder belt. I will not be held responsible for a portion or extent of injuries resulting from comments made here.

I agree, why not update and be more safe in an accident!!

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC04124.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC01629.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC02673.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 106
One important point I failed to mention... 67 buckets do not have latches on the seat backs. This means the seat back would go forward with you in event of collision.
Increases the force against a shoulder belt. I will not be held responsible for a portion or extent of injuries resulting from comments made here.

Now this is very important but I'm not sure about what exactly would happen. My shoulder harness seat belts have a self locking reels. If the back of the seat tries to go forward during an accident the reel should lock and hold you in place because the back of the seat alone doesn't have much weight to push against you. The person sitting in the seat weighs more than the back of the seat and the seat belt would not let you go forward whether the seat had a back or not. Again, I'm not sure about the theory, better to be safe.

Treblig

-
Back