67 cuda instrument cluster

-

Operator23

Sevare Vitas
Reaction score
my temp gauge doe not work and I think some of my other gauges are not reading properly. took a look a back of my dash and it looks like some of my gauges are wired (see pic). Can I/how can i remove my gauge cluster to take a better look?

Attachments

• barracuda.gauges.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 277
One common reason for the temp gauge not reading is the failure of the instrument voltage regulator. This is a solid state unit built into the fuel gauge (odd, but true). You can buy a unit to replace it, but it has to be soldered in.

You can remove, or just tilt out the instrument cluster to access the back of the gauges, but there are a lot of connections. I would recommend following the procedure in the factory service manual, so as not to miss a step and possibly damage something. The pins in the big circular connector are particularly fragile.

Oh, just because you don't see a wire attached to those pins doesn't mean they aren't wired. That blue board is a printed circuit board, and the gold traces on it are the instrument "wires". So that's another fragile component.

Thanks mvh! So i am assuming if I remove the 4 or 5 phillips head screws that look like they are holding the instrument cluster part of the dash to the dash I can just tilt that forward and see what going on back there.... I dont have a factory service manual. Do they make one for the 67 Barracuda and if so where can i get it?

Well, there are more screws than the ones you can see from the front. You need to look at the bottom and the back. The heater controls are a big chunk attached to the back, as well.

The 1967 Plymouth service manual was released before the Barrracuda introduction, so they had to issue a separate supplement for Barracudas. But a 1968 Plymouth manual would have everything you needed, with a few tiny changes (radio is different).

I have a scanned copy of the Barracuda supplement -- it's way too big to email, but I'll just extract the dash-related pages and post them here.

Well, there are more screws than the ones you can see from the front. You need to look at the bottom and the back. The heater controls are a big chunk attached to the back, as well.
I have a scanned copy of the Barracuda supplement -- it's way too big to email, but I'll just extract the dash-related pages and post them here.

Here are the relevant pages.

Attachments

• Page 4 - 67 Barracuda Supplement.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 186
  • Page 9 - 67 Barracuda Supplement.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 173
  • Page 10 - 67 Barracuda Supplement.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 177
Thanks again mvh. I will definitely have to buy the 68 manual for reference. How/where can I get of the 67 barracuda supplement you are referring to?

One common reason for the temp gauge not reading is the failure of the instrument voltage regulator. This is a solid state unit built into the fuel gauge (odd, but true). You can buy a unit to replace it, but it has to be soldered in.

You can remove, or just tilt out the instrument cluster to access the back of the gauges, but there are a lot of connections. I would recommend following the procedure in the factory service manual, so as not to miss a step and possibly damage something. The pins in the big circular connector are particularly fragile.

Oh, just because you don't see a wire attached to those pins doesn't mean they aren't wired. That blue board is a printed circuit board, and the gold traces on it are the instrument "wires". So that's another fragile component.

Its not a solid state regulator built into the gas gage, its a vibrating point type inside the gas gage. I would know, i opened up and carefully removed the point type one from inside the gas gage, and soldered up a solid state NTE 960 semiconductor and capacitor setup thats external on the panel.

No need to solder it inside either. All you need is 3 ring terminals on the wires from the external solid state limiter. One to ground, one to your 12V feed into the cluster for the 3 gages, and one for your 5V out to the gages. You attach the ring terminals to the studs off the back of the fuel gage on the printed circuit card.

Pm me with your email if you want pix of this setup. Dont dissassemble your gas gage to mod it unless your sure not to mess it up. Only have to clip and remove one specific wire inside it to disable its internal regulator.

-
Back