67 Cuda / Trunk Weather Seal

-

fishyfish36

Reaction score
Looking for guidance on what weather seal to replace this with. Its ok if it is not the authentic part. I am focused on Function and Cost. Please chime in on any tips and tricks to removing the old stuff without removing the paint etc and the install process. Thanks all.

trunk left.jpg

trunk right.jpg

trunk.jpg

A&M Soff Seal sells the trunk weatherstrip for this application, so does metro moulded rubber products. The correct repop weatherstripping is cheap enough to buy, no point in cheesedicking it. Heres a screen shot from evilbay. $34 shipped is cheap enough.

3M makes a dandy trim and weatherstrip adhesive. You can use clothes pins to clamp it in place when gluing it on. The butted together end seam is typically in the center at the back end of the trunk opening where the latch is. Carefully scrape the old weatherstrip and adhesive off with a scraper.

Nothing that will take the old adhesive off without screwing up the paint under it. Dry position the weatherstrip on the flange to position the end seam in the center at the latch and clamp it in place. Then unclamp sections at a time, glue and re clamp. If weatherstrip is s little long at end seam, cut to fit butted together. Let dry, and un clamp

Screenshot_20210204-202346_eBay.jpg

Last edited:
I think you can get one from pick & pull off of about any car that has a similar seal. About $5.

A&M Soff Seal sells the trunk weatherstrip for this application, so does metro moulded rubber products. The correct repop weatherstripping is cheap enough to buy, no point in cheesedicking it. Heres a screen shot from evilbay. $34 shipped is cheap enough.

3M makes a dandy trim and weatherstrip adhesive. You can use clothes pins to clamp it in place when gluing it on. The butted together end seam is typically in the center at the back end of the trunk opening where the latch is. Carefully scrape the old weatherstrip and adhesive off with a scraper.

Nothing that will take the old adhesive off without screwing up the paint under it. Dry position the weatherstrip on the flange to position the end seam in the center at the latch and clamp it in place. Then unclamp sections at a time, glue and re clamp. If weatherstrip is s little long at end seam, cut to fit butted together. Let dry, and un clamp

View attachment 1715683808

is this the adhesive youre referring to? Thanks for the information, I picked up that seal on ebay for 32$

4AAE1742-131D-49C2-A315-9D26A4E53D1A.jpeg

Yep that's it. Dont get it on the paint. Your best bet is to tape and paper off past the seal if your a messy person with glue. TBH you should probably redo the seam sealer where the dutchman panel meets the quarters inside the jamb area, clean up the trunk gutters on the sides, and repaint the trunk jambs before putting the new weatherstrip on. These are trouble prone rustout areas on these, ask me how I know. Sigh !! (Insert eyeroll here)

20200719_174428.jpg

20200719_174412.jpg

20200719_173838.jpg

20200719_173850.jpg

Last edited:
I used the 3M glue. It's really sticky, be careful a little goes a long ways. Have an old rag handy for wipe offs.
I used clothes pins to hold it in place while it dried, especially for the corners of the trunk.
I was slow doing a couple corners and one side and either top or bottom side and then let it dry overnight.
The ends should meet a couple inches left of the trunk latch.
When I got done I left the trunk lid open another day to ensure it really dried. I probably didn't need to but it is what it is...haha!!
When I was done I closed the lid and left it closed a couple days so the lid and strip got a nice form.

Update: I removed the old stuff. waiting on weatherstrip part and glue. what do you guys suggest to recoat the exposed metal with? I am thinking of just taping it off and hitting it with some rattle can primer & a color off the shelf that matches as close as possible..

that hammer and flat bar was used to even out some dented portions of the lip. worked wonders

7C06A606-9942-4861-9020-B9735C0600D2.jpeg

D195AF87-58C9-4BCC-89CE-7D81513CDC7F.jpeg

9038D5BB-2E59-4B14-80B0-D6886B3E4C65.jpeg

B9681D51-F629-4D4E-9E3B-D45F4E83AE9B.jpeg

Also, make sure you put it in right. It will go in two ways. One way is right, and the other way, although it looks OK, may not allow the trunk to close properly. Ask me how I know. LOL

bada bing bada boom. stripped, acetone, degreased & rattle can primed with an over the counter tan as close match as possible...

202F492D-A6AF-4F8A-AD61-FA67CDE3577F.jpeg

A57231C5-4AA4-45DE-875B-88935AE2AA50.jpeg

E693A550-A4FB-4290-B41C-C1C736E345E6.jpeg

Looks like yours is getting the dreaded eaten out in the corners. Both my 67, and my sons 69 are ate to **** in these very spots. Going to have to rebuild them both in these areas

Screenshot_20210212-141105_Samsung Internet.jpg

yea i knocked out some of that rust, checked underneath and it was structurally sound. most of the car’s worst is like that. I dont plan to mess with it lest it becomes a problem.

that black stuff gets everywhere.. i finally got the hang of it and applied it with a popsicle stick. right side was the learning side, left side had no runs .. this task is completed.. total cost under 50$

D0462C16-CEF6-4C70-AB32-CC9319D28C24.jpeg

Just did mine this past weekend using this thread and a couple others on FABO for guidance. Its not perfect but came out good enough to be unnoticeable. Used about 1/2 tube of the 3M black adhesive (for some reason I bought 4 tubes!) and some goo-gone and plastic scrapers to get rid of the old adhesive.
Dart trunk 1.jpg
Dart trunk 2.jpg

Test fitting the new weatherstrip:
Dart trunk 3.jpg

Final glue-down:

Dart trunk 4.jpg

Weĺl done!
Just did mine this past weekend using this thread and a couple others on FABO for guidance. Its not perfect but came out good enough to be unnoticeable. Used about 1/2 tube of the 3M black adhesive (for some reason I bought 4 tubes!) and some goo-gone and plastic scrapers to get rid of the old adhesive.
View attachment 1715730458 View attachment 1715730459

View attachment 1715730460

Final glue-down:

View attachment 1715730461

View attachment 1715730458 View attachment 1715730459

View attachment 1715730460

Final glue-down:

View attachment 1715730461

that is alot of adhesive used. i didnt use too much of it, it can get real messy. glad this post helped though!

-
Back