67 dart 360 conversion help!

-

Tyler Driver

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here. I need some serious help. ive built many engines but all imports but this is my first v8 or old build. I just picked up a 1967 dart with a slant 6. I picked up a 360 with tranny and all. also in the deal i got a 904 transmission with TC and flex plate. I would like to use the 904 trans because its the same length as the one on the slant 6 so i wont need a new driveshaft. the tranny that came on the 360 motor is much shorter so i would need a longer shaft. So problem is the torque converter will not fit off the 360 on the 904. i have a flex plate and converter for the 904 but i dont know anything about the balancing part. i really need some help deciding what needs to happen to get this 360 in here with minimal work. do shops balance these converters or what can i do? thanks in advance
-tyler

Couple of things:

Easiest way to get the engine in the car: '67-72 A-Body Products

360 to a non-weighted convertor: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-10239

Now, that will get it in there, but what are the suspension and brakes like? Drum brakes and slant torsion bars would suck with a 360 in the car.

What rear end is in the car? 7.25 peg leg will not live long back there.
Just some things to consider.

sb

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a short, fixed yoke 727 that came with the 360. That torque converter will not fit the 904. It will have the weights required for the externally balanced 360.

Chances are the 904 torque converter does not have external balance weights on it. What you neex is a flex ate like this.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-10239

With it you can use any neutral (internal) balancex 904 torque converter.

As another point.....if your 360 came with a short 727 it will be out of a truck or motorhome and will have a truck oil pan. You will need a car oil pan and pickup. Same goes for the exhaust manifolds unless you intend to run headers.

Couple of things:

Now, that will get it in there, but what are the suspension and brakes like? Drum brakes and slant torsion bars would suck with a 360 in the car.

sb

Thank you so much for the help!
I will be doing brakes as well. i will also be getting motor mount swaps. as far as torsion bars i have not came across that yet. i will look into it.
Couple of things:

sb

Sounds like you have a short, fixed yoke 727 that came with the 360. That torque converter will not fit the 904. It will have the weights required for the externally balanced 360.

Chances are the 904 torque converter does not have external balance weights on it. What you neex is a flex ate like this.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-10239

With it you can use any neutral (internal) balancex 904 torque converter.

As another point.....if your 360 came with a short 727 it will be out of a truck or motorhome and will have a truck oil pan. You will need a car oil pan and pickup. Same goes for the exhaust manifolds unless you intend to run headers.

thank you for the reply, yes i need an oil pan however i cannot seem to find a front or mid pickup that would match a pan. any idea where i can find pickup and pan that are front sump? hopefully not too pricey

There are lots of used pans available, post in the wanted section here. If you dont get a pickup with it you can buy a new one at any auto parts store. There are two pans as far as I know. Truck and van which are, I think, rear sump and car lans which are mid sump.

Hey guys, new here. I need some serious help. ive built many engines but all imports but this is my first v8 or old build. I just picked up a 1967 dart with a slant 6. I picked up a 360 with tranny and all. also in the deal i got a 904 transmission with TC and flex plate. I would like to use the 904 trans because its the same length as the one on the slant 6 so i wont need a new driveshaft. the tranny that came on the 360 motor is much shorter so i would need a longer shaft. So problem is the torque converter will not fit off the 360 on the 904. i have a flex plate and converter for the 904 but i dont know anything about the balancing part. i really need some help deciding what needs to happen to get this 360 in here with minimal work. do shops balance these converters or what can i do? thanks in advance
-tyler
Is the transmission a lock-up or non-lockup type? Also, do you know what year the transmission is?

Lockup transmissions were introduced circal 1976-1977. The torque converter is supposed to lock while driving to prevent slippage and enhance fuel economy. They are not generally the transmission of choice. The torque converter and transmission cannot be intermixed with earlier ones and there is not a lot available for them in the way of performance parts.

You are better off finding a non lockup trans and converter.

Lockup transmissions were introduced circal 1976-1977. The torque converter is supposed to lock while driving to prevent slippage and enhance fuel economy. They are not generally the transmission of choice. The torque converter and transmission cannot be intermixed with earlier ones and there is not a lot available for them in the way of performance parts.

You are better off finding a non lockup trans and converter.
will it still work for the time being?

There's nothing wrong with the 904 Lock-up style transmission. Gasket set, friction plates, steel plates, bushings, etc. have been the same for years, be it a lockup on non-lockup transmission. In '92 they went to a wider front band. Anything you want to do to a 904 non-lockup can be done to a lock-up.
Converter wise, there are lots of performance lockups being made by a large number of performance converter builders. The diesel boys use lock-up converters and we all know how much hp and torque these guys are finding.

-
Back