67 Dart Front Windshield / gasket problem

-

Darin

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 67 Dart GT and installed new windshield several years ago with 68 gasket and stainless trim.

The problem is that I noticed that the glass has slid lower down in the gasket and the gasket looks kind of deformed in the four corners.

Anyone ever have this issue or have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Darin

Sorry,
here are a some pictures showing the issue.
I was never 100% happy with the results but it has gotten much worst over time.
Thanks,
Darin

IMG_5759.JPG

IMG_5760.JPG

IMG_5761.JPG

I've seen gaskets like yours on really old installations. You said it was installed years ago but you didn't say how many years?? It definitely doesn't look right. I know you want it to look nice but what's more important is whether or not it leaks. If it leaks then you need to have it replaced...if you ever drive in the rain. The upper right corner actually looks like the gasket has separated (not good)??

treblig

Doesn't leak but worst looking thing on car.

Who makes the best windshield gaskets?
Also, any idea of someone in Tampa, FL area with experience removing & replacing these windshields? Don't really want to try it myself unless I don't have another choice.

Thanks,
Darin

Looks like the main gasket choices are as follows:
Detroit Muscle $75
YearOne $95
Steele $179

Anyone know who is currently make the YearOne gaskets?

I replaced mine and think it was Steele?? Still holding up well 5 years later.

Treblig

Also try Precision. They are the only company that makes the Mylar lockstrip amf matching gasket. (I know you have upgraded but they will make 68-9 style as well.
I would try my best to find out who is the mfg of what you have now. To avoid this problem.
I have similar issue with needing my glass removed.
Good luck!

Thanks,
I ordered one from Precision.

I just hope I can find a glass guy that is good with something other than glue in windshields!

Darin

Thanks,
I ordered one from Precision.

I just hope I can find a glass guy that is good with something other than glue in windshields!

Darin
You need to ask each company if they're familiar with the 60s/70s glass removal process that involves stainless trim. Some companies have young guys who no nothing about removing and installing stainless trim. Then there are others who have older guys that have done it thousands of times.

treblig

-
Back