67 Dart Leaf Spring Rebuild Kit Question

-

CallMeAl

Reaction score
Hi,

have bought a Leaf Spring Rebuild Kit from Mancini Racing.
It states, that it can be used for 1968-74 All Small Block/Big Block cars.

I now dismantled my springs from my 67 Dart. There are no zink plated metal plates in between the leafs - but the rebuild kit includes them.

What should I do - rebuild the springs without using the metal plates, or should I add them ? Would it have any effect on the suspension ?

Would you paint the areas, where the leafs touch each other ? Any ideas what kind of paint to use ? Has anyone experience with powder coating ?

Thanks,
Lars

I can't say my 67 springs do or dont have the zink shims without checking. I can say my 68 model 6 leaf stacks do have them. Your springs may have been apart before.The zink will prevent sticking and noise that could come from corrosion.
I thought I would rebuild my springs and even looked at the kits. These really dont need rebuild. My plan is to turn them on their side and pour the water based one step rust ender through them. Good luck

I would paint each leaf individually, then paint them again once they are reassembled. I use Rustoleum for suspension parts, its cheap and holds up pretty good. Use the zinc plates it wont hurt anything.

Thanks!

I now found out the difference - my 67 dart uses a 5 leaf stack.
But I also have a 6 leaf stack from a 72 dart - so I will take this one and the rebuild kit will fit.
Is there any way to check if the leafs stack is in good shape (as it´s already dismantled from the donor car) ?

There are measurements for relaxed arch and weight/load displacement wherever the spring were made. Finding that info would be a challenge.
That's another reason I decided not to buy a rebuild kit for my used springs. I don't know if they're fatigued or not and I dont know if re-arching destroys or requires the shim kit.

-
Back